The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Loop to Loop connections

Am I under standing this right, after you make your line loop to leader loop connection you put shrink wrap tubing over the loop connection. I thought the purposes of the loop to loop was to make it easy to change out leaders with out tiring the leader to the line. If you install tube over the connection would this not defeat the purpose ?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:47 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Loop to Loop connections

my allen fly line had a welded loop, the furled leader with a loop, just used this to connect, about 50 fish so far, looks more or less like when I put them together.

Loop-to-Loop Connection
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

You do not put anything over the loop to loop connection this is for quick change connection you are correct R Reese
Old 05-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It was my understanding that the shirnk wrap went over the line up to the loop, but not over the loop.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bass_man,

With so many people fly fishing you will find a lot of different ways to do the same thing. We all think our way is the best. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that shrink tubing would be over a loop to loop connection but most of us would not do that. If you make the connection correctly it will be solid and not require anything else.

If you still think the heat shrink is needed an alternative is to tie the leader to the fly line loop using an Albright knot. Then when you want to change leaders you can cut the Albright knot on the leader.

Frank
Old 05-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Frank..... I believe he's thinking about the shrink tubing that goes over the end of a braided (Chinese finger puzzle) loop.

Bass_man.... the shrink tubing goes over the cut end of the braid to keep it from unraveling. Not over the loops themselves
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rip,

That is probably where he got the idea but he is talking about the loop on the fly line. I guess he will have to tell us what he is thinking.

Frank
Old 05-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Frank..... I believe he's thinking about the shrink tubing that goes over the end of a braided (Chinese finger puzzle) loop.

Bass_man.... the shrink tubing goes over the cut end of the braid to keep it from unraveling. Not over the loops themselves
Sorry that was what I was referring to the braid loop connector, some say to put a drop of zap a gap glue on the end of the tubing and braid, is that correct? Still learning this is all new to me and I do not have anyone around to ask questions. Thanks you guys are a big help.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hi bass_man,

Well it seems that Jackster understood what you were talking about. If you want to use a braided loop here is how I would do it.

1. Take a round tooth pick and stick it in the end of your fly line and remove the tooth pick. Then place a drop of a water proof super glue, but use the thin stuff on the end of the fly line. You want it to suck into the braid of the fly line. This will seal the end of the fly line so water won't migrate up the braided core.

2. Now feed your braided loop onto the fly line all the way up to the loop knot.

3. Toss the heat shrink and get a piece of 10 or 12 pound mono about 18" long. Tie a nail knot right at the end of the braid farthest from the loop. Before you pull the nail knot tight make sure the fly line is all the way into the braid and then tighten the nail knot.

4. Trim the knot ends and apply Pliobond, or some glue that stays flexible, over the nail knot making it as streamline as you can. You may have to apply more than one coat of Pliobond to get the nail knot covered like you want it. You don't want a big glob of glue, just enough to tidy things up.

So now you have the braided loop nail knotted to your fly line and the nail knot is covered with Pliobond and you are ready to fish.

Frank
Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM

Thanks Guys for clearing that up