The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Drift Boat Repair

Hopefully - not foretelling things to come...

I put a nice gouge in the gelcoat on my hull - fiberglass looks fine.

It's about 1.5" by .5"

What's the best way to patch it? Just fill it with Gelcoat?

like this:

Amazon.com: Match N Patch Gel Coat Repair Kit Match'n Patch Gelcoat Repair Kit: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Match N Patch Gel Coat Repair Kit Match'n Patch Gelcoat Repair Kit: Sports & Outdoors

Anything special I need to know?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Drift Boat Repair

While never having worked on a drifter I have plenty of time kicking around boat yards and I would say your on the right track. Just feather out the surrounding area spread your mix, give it a light sanding and buff her out. Just be sure everything is clean and dry before you start.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Thanks.. just wanted a reality check

Found a little video on line from Tap Plastics - that goes over the whole process including cleaning, sanding

Just wasn't sure how if this was for scratches or 'chunks'
Old 05-17-2011, 10:57 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I agree completely with WT, that's the way to do it. Do use an automotive type painting solvent to clean the area, even before you start the work. In one of my past lives I owned an automotive restoration shop doing lots of custom work that even extended to boat hulls. Prepsol is one of the solvent names that comes to mind from 40 years ago. OMG.
Gary
Old 05-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Account on hold

highhigh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
I agree completely with WT, that's the way to do it. Do use an automotive type painting solvent to clean the area, even before you start the work. In one of my past lives I owned an automotive restoration shop doing lots of custom work that even extended to boat hulls. Prepsol is one of the solvent names that comes to mind from 40 years ago. OMG.
Gary
that's true.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 AM

nicksonbelt is on a distinguished road

Well, Drift boat repair is more easier than boats made up with steel or fiber hulls. I am also agree with your thoughts and also looks out the surrounding area. I want to repair my boat as it is made of aluminum and looking for the boat repair shop for it.

boat repair
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Be glad it ain't HDP.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey