The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 AM

flygrlz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's it Worth?

Upon further research, I've been finding it to be in the $800. - $1500. range as more realistic.

I will say, based on the condition of this fly rod (which is really difficult to show in pics), I suspect it would be in the higher end of the value scale ($1200.ish maybe?).

I'm back and fourth as to whether I want to part with it really, because it was handed down to me by my dad. The other side of that is... I will probably never use it, as it's in fantastic condition, and my luck would be to break it or mess it up in some way to make it worthless.

In my mind I'm thinking, if I were to part with it, I could invest the money in more tackle I can use. LOL it's a quandary for sure.

Thanks Rip Tide for the input.

flygrlz
Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... I was thinking $1200 ish but rods like that are out of my league and I'm certainly not an authority.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd never part with it.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi flygrlz.
From my experience with Vintage Gear,firstly you have to get someone who wants it enough to pay its value,most dealers won't give you the true value as they want to make their profit.
Then if you sell it the money usually gets blown anyhow,so in the end your item is gone & you have wasted the money,something we have all done.
On the other hand if you keep it,it might appreciate in value & you can sell it if & when you need to.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM

flygrlz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input y'all.

I'm leaning toward putting the rod online, and seeing what happens. If it does sell, the money will definitely go back toward buying more equipment.

I'm moving to Colorado in a few weeks, and I'm told there is some amazing fishing there.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks again!

flygrlz
Old 10-15-2011, 09:36 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real buyer's market right now for antiques and collectibles.
Unless you need the money, it might be better to hold off.
On the other hand, for anyone looking to invest, the time couldn't be better