The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's it Worth?

Need some help from some of the more nostalgic members on the forum. A friend of mine recently came across a Wright & McGill fly rod and a Bronson 380 fly reel. The reel was easy since I see them selling for around $25.00 The rod however seems to be S-Glass. All the ones I see listed on Ebay are la lighter brown and look like glass blanks. This one is a dark brown and has that S-Glass weave look to it. The label reads:

Hollow Glass
.3A- 8ft

So, what's it worth?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's it Worth?

The model is called an "All American" probably from the late '50s
Like other W&M rods, the value is low, less than $50... easily.
What color is the reel seat?

Handsome reel, I would mind having one of those
Old 05-17-2011, 12:12 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The model is called an "All American" probably from the late '50s
Like other W&M rods, the value is low, less than $50... easily.
What color is the reel seat?

Handsome reel, I would mind having one of those
Thanks Rip. The reel seat is a dark purple, looks like faded black anodizing. So I can rest easy offering a friend $50 for this combo? I haven't cast it yet but it feels like maybe a 5 of 6 WT?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly no more that $50 for the pair, maybe less
The 3-a was bottom of the line after 5-a, 5-ala (light action), and 4-a
Early reel seats were green, later ones maroon.... I think

That reel will look nice cleaned up. Soak it in a weak vinegar solution for a while, then give it a soft brushing
Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 PM

That's what I figured. I'm off tomorrow so I'll fish it and see how it feels. If I like it, or break it , I'll buy it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

... I forgot
It's a 7wt. You should try a 6, but it's rated for a 7
Old 10-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Finally got around to taking a toothbrush and some vinegar to this old girl. She cleaned up pretty well. Now it's time to get her dirty again. Thanks for the help Rip!

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
[IMG]htClick the image to open in full size.tp://[/IMG]
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though we didn't see much of them over here Wright & Mc Gill was good gear,$50 I think would be a good buy as we all know lots of good gear doesn't happen to bring much money unless it's Hardy's then you really pay.
So load the Reel String the Rod & have some fun.
Good Luck as you will find the Fibreglass Rods good to use as I & many others have caught some big Trout on Fibreglass Rods,even though they are heavier than the modern ones they were all we had with the Click & Pawl Reels.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 PM

flygrlz is on a distinguished road

Ok I was holding back, but after reading a few posts now...

I have a Russ Peak 8' glass flyrod. I've already done some research, and have found it is a desirable piece.

The rod is in 2 pieces, and in excellent condition. The cork handle has some wear marks, but is also in great shape.
The information is hand written directly on the rod as follows:

Russell J. Peak Rod #RJP 35-185-8500
21 North Allen Ave., Pasadena California 8-28-58
8'-3 3/8 oz. 285-5115-2063-167c-285
Custom made for Earl Crowe
(Address written)

I've found a pretty big range for this piece... from $800.00 to $3000.00.

I'm wondering if the members here would agree? Or, if anyone knows how to narrow it down a bit.

thanks,
flygrlz

Last edited by flygrlz; 10-12-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 AM

I would think that $3000 would be a bit over the top, but $800 or more might be possible from the right collector
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember from another thread that you were building up posts so as to place something in the classified section.
If this rod is what you had in mind, you need to put it in a more visible location.
There's collectors that would drool over this, especially in the Japanese market
A high profile auction house like Langs Sporting Collectibles or even ebay would bring more interest.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 10-13-2011 at 10:01 AM.