The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Anyone Use Snap Hooks...Any Thoughts or Experience

Neither my dexterity or eyesight is what it used to be whose is after hitting 40ish...in my case 48!

If you don't know what snap hooks are this webpage shows them Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying

I was looking in the tips and tricks thread and it made me think about these as someone mentioned them. Years ago I tried them for about a day, but in the back of my mind I was always wondering if they were some how detrimental to the presentation. Then again as the person in the trips and trick thread pointed out perhaps they could actually enhance the presention as the lupe in the snap hook could alow the fly to have more action.

Anyone have thoughts, experience...anyone?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Anyone Use Snap Hooks...Any Thoughts or Experience

Tom, it's standard issue for changing colors fast when fishing streamers. (Pyramid)
I really like the movement too..The snap movement duplicates the movement of a rapala or loop knot. Without extra fiddling.

Used them fishing nymphs as well. (Smallest snap)
Was going to post a gear review about "Tackle Buddies". I use them.
Rig up 8 flies w/droppers at home on the couch.
Then just snap them on, in low-light/break-offs/heat of battle.
Or when three clients hook the bottom simultaneously.
Especially pertinent when fishing the flood!
An old-guy/guide trick.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-17-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Tom

I was the one that posted them and I am on the same page as Jim. They are great for fast change over on those cold days and I like the presentation you get with them on streamers and nymphs, that is about the only time I will use them. Also just like you said for guys that have poor eyesight and dexterity problems.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 05-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not me.
Aged 57 and a wearer of bifocals for 18 years

Do yourself a big favor and learn how to tie good knots under all conditions

My biggest issue is seeing fine tippet and sticking it through the hook eye.
The knots are cinch (no pun intended)
I find flip focals to be a bit distorted, but they're handy as hell.
Dollar store reading glasses are more difficult to balance but all you need
Old 05-17-2011, 05:56 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

I'm 55 and can tie a knot in the dark, wind, whatever.. A clinch anyway.
We are discussing speed of change mostly. The eye relief is gravy.
Time yourself tying a knot under good conditions, and multiply that by dozens of re-ties in a day. (several dozen with clients)
Then subtract that aggregate time from your day if you use a snap..
To me, that's worth it. Don't use them all the time, but when need be.
Night fishing is another example for a good use.
You can change streamers without a light. Literally, eyes closed, (not that you can see anything with them open)..
I carry a red light to tie if need be, but snaps are easier.

Jim
Old 05-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Tom, it's standard issue for changing colors fast when fishing streamers. (Pyramid)
I really like the movement too..
Used them fishing nymphs as well. (Smallest snap)
Was going to post a gear review about "Tackle Buddies". I use them.
Rig up 8 flies w/droppers at home on the couch.
Then just snap them on, in low-light/break-offs/heat of battle.
Or when three clients hook the bottom symultainiously.
Especially pertinate when fishing the flood!
An old-guy/guide trick.

Jim
Jim- Thank you! I used to use something similar to the tackle buddy when I was a gear fisherman for my salmon outfits and was actually thinking about something like that for nymph rigs. Sometimes at least in my own mind I think a quick change or ability to re-rig quickly is in order. This gives me more confidence in giving these a try the Snap hooks and pre-rigged leaders for my nymph rigs and for streamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
Tom

I was the one that posted them and I am on the same page as Jim. They are great for fast change over on those cold days and I like the presentation you get with them on streamers and nymphs, that is about the only time I will use them. Also just like you said for guys that have poor eyesight and dexterity problems.
It is a good idea for sure. Thanks for reminding me about them by your post in the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Not me.
Aged 57 and a wearer of bifocals for 18 years

Do yourself a big favor and learn how to tie good knots under all conditions

My biggest issue is seeing fine tippet and sticking it through the hook eye.
The knots are cinch (no pun intended)
I find flip focals to be a bit distorted, but they're handy as hell.
Dollar store reading glasses are more difficult to balance but all you need
I tie good knots its just that I have some dexterity problems issues due to injuries and chronic ailments. Plus sometimes I just can't see tippits and hook eyes very well even with my prescription bifocal contacts though that could probably be fixed with flip focals.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Tom, I tried twice to make a post on the Tackle buddy. Gear section.
I carry the small one all the time.
You are supposed to rig 8 at a time.
But I double rig 16 dropper setups.
Hang the small dropper hook on the rubber nubbin, then wind tippet around the buddy, hooking the big nymph/dry into the rubber ridge.
Results matter, as a giude, so I will adopt anything that makes my life better.
Even if I have to steel it from the bait/spinner guys.
Combined with the snaps, it's plug and play.
By the by, there are a couple of threaders out there to help hitting the small eyes in low light.
My only issue is, I have to take my polarized shades off to tie/see my flouro tippet. It just disappears!

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-17-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Neither my dexterity of eyesight is what it used to be whose is after hitting 40ish...in my case 48!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I'm 55 and can tie a knot in the dark, wind, whatever.. A clinch anyway.
We are discussing speed of change mostly. The eye relief is gravy.
Really ! My mistake Bigfly. I thought that's exactly what the question was about ?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:20 PM

Sorry Rip, I was using the royal we.
"We" like easy on the eyes, but fast is good too.
I guess I ran with thoughts/expirience.
Just relating that for me knots were not the problem. Time is.
This product helps with both.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-17-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM

This all just sparked another idea (I haven't thought it completely through), what about tying a hangman's at the end of the butt of leaders that you put on the Tackle buddy that would give you the additional option of tying the leader to a hook bend for a hopper dropper and simply cinching it up on the hook bend or tying it too a heavy butt section that is attached attached to the fly line. I'm not sure if I explained that well. Hopefully you get my drift. What do you all think?