The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold
Default Strike indicators

What is the best place on the line to place these? I bought some and have yet to use them, but then I started thinking if I do, I am not really sure where to place them? Thanks!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strike indicators

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
What is the best place on the line to place these? I bought some and have yet to use them, but then I started thinking if I do, I am not really sure where to place them? Thanks!
Are you fishing rivers or stillwater? and what are you fishing for and what fly.
On stillwater and pools, I set the indicator to suspend the fly off the bottom, but in current I adjust the indicator with extra (ex: is the river is 3' deep I set the indicator at 5')and that also depends on how fast the current.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Well, in a way you answered my question with your question. I figured it could also be used as a depth control (like most bobbers) as well as a strike indicator. With that said, it was a general question. Would mostly be "stillwater" and small creeks, but even the lakes I fish around here have some current to them. I will just focus on using it as a depth control and should be good! Thanks!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

As far as streams, the general consensus is 1 1/2 to 2 times the depth. So 3ft depth = 4.5 ft to 6ft. I tend to stick with the shorter side of the spectrum as fish don't look down for food.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

fish don't look down, But what about Crawfish? They crawl on the bottom. Someone else brought this up on another forum.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 AM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

Speaking for trout, two things factor into this. Placement of the eyes and structure of the mouth. If you look at the eyes of a trout they are tilted slightly inwards at the top, outwards at the bottom. Also, the forehead is narrower while their mouth gets wider. This makes their viewing angle better when looking up, but their mouth and eye position limits their viewing angle when looking down.

As far as for their mouth, it is designed for eating from above, hence why the bottom lip is is bigger than their upper lip.

I really don't know the details for other fish...they may look down
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypobaricstalker View Post
Speaking for trout, two things factor into this. Placement of the eyes and structure of the mouth. If you look at the eyes of a trout they are tilted slightly inwards at the top, outwards at the bottom. Also, the forehead is narrower while their mouth gets wider. This makes their viewing angle better when looking up, but their mouth and eye position limits their viewing angle when looking down.

As far as for their mouth, it is designed for eating from above, hence why the bottom lip is is bigger than their upper lip.

I really don't know the details for other fish...they may look down
You mean there is other fish besides TROUT??? LOL
I agree, but they must bottom dredge somehow or at some point.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I'm just going to go by my limited subjective experience and say that I believe that trout feed at some point especially on rivers, since I've only fished stillwater for trout with a fly rod once many years ago, in the entire water column, but I don't think they qualify as bottom feeders. However while nymphing I've caught fish by dredging the bottom and everywhere in between. With that said I assume others on the forum like Joni, BigFly, MoscaPescador, and others know better than I. I'd like to scuba and see trout eat crayfish, but its my suspician that with crayfish most often trout are likely somewhere at least slightly below or even with the crayfishes. What do you all think?
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Somehow we got way off topic here. But thanks for the replies, I mainly just watch my line to know when I have a hit, but maybe a strike indicator won't be a bad thing assuming I know where to put it!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Somehow we got way off topic here. But thanks for the replies, I mainly just watch my line to know when I have a hit, but maybe a strike indicator won't be a bad thing assuming I know where to put it!
You are right we did, that includes me, I got caught up in what someone else said and I apologize. The typical formula is 1.5 to 2 times the depth of the water and to adjust from up or down to find where the fish are feeding in the water column.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.