The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Bug Size

When you guys talk about bass bugs and make referance to big bass bugs are you speaking of the 0/? sizes or is a #2 considered big.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bass Bug Size

I like bugs at least 1/0. Not so much for the bass, but to discourage the bluegill/bream that occupy the same water. They nip at it, but seldom get the hook.

Sep
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I agree. The hookup and catch % on bass is greater as well in my experience. Bass "bugs" as opposed to "poppers" are usually spun deer hair which also thicken the hook shank and reduce the hook gap.

Fly Line Wt. to load rod question
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Bass "bugs" as opposed to "poppers" are usually spun deer hair which also thicken the hook shank and reduce the hook gap.
I tie my spun hair bass bugs on stinger hooks that are made for that purpose
Size 2 is good, but I also tie on #6.... the gap is still plenty large

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

It's terrific to have people talking about fishing for bass on the fly.

Sometimes I feel like I'm out on a limb - Mike's Gone Fishin'... Again: River Largemouths

Cheers,

Sep
Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Sep,

Bass were the first thing I fly fished for as a kid. Then, few people fly fished in S Florida, and the only poppers I could find were too small, and seemed to be meant for panfish. So I started making my own from wine corks, and discovered that they didn't even need to be painted. I used big hooks and big bodies and was not bothered by small fish.

My poppers look no better now than they did when I was 13 and tied them using vice grips clamped to a table with bigger vice grips.

The 'glades then, as now, were loaded with big bass, and they smash poppers late afternoon to just at dark.

Bass bugging from a small boat, canoe or kayak is a great way to hone ones casting skills as you are always going for small holes or channels through lillly pads, weeds, reeds or whatever.

I always take friends down here for tarpon or bones to the glades if the wind is too much, and they invariably have a ball. There is a 100% chance of seeing gators up close, and a fair chance of catching a really big bass when using a large popper. You can also catch gators on large poppers, though we don't do that on purpose.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Last year was a big learning curve for me and I gained some experience fishing for post-spawn smallmouth.

I don't fish smallies when they're on their beds so I'm forced to wait until they're done. I just don't agree with ripping males who're guarding eggs/fry.

When I fish, I typically fish from sunrise til sunset and doing this on a few bass lakes made me realize that time of day, angle of the sun, and wind are all major factors in topwater success.

Early morning was amazing with big, loud poppers. As the sun's angle got sharper they stopped hitting it, seeming to get a better view and becoming wary. I downsized to a smaller deerhair popper and continued catching fish throughout the late morning up until midday. At midday the wind here typically picks up and I found it difficult to get the consistent action on topwater.

At this time I switched to a subsurface and then continued to hit fish. Again as the sun's angle changed I went back to the smaller deerhair popper and then finally to the big, loud foam popper. This cycle worked on more than one occassion on more than one lake.

As for size it depends on what the fish want. If you're not getting strikes on 2/0 poppers then obviously downsize. I like to start big, especially in low light, and then work down.

Nick