The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:37 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Worm dunker vs fly fishing

I have been fly fishing with some spin fisherman by me. I have been wondering why they catch so many more fish than me? I am not mad about it, by I was just curious. Also, how could I proverbially tip the scales in my favor. I would love to catch as many fish as those guys. Is this possible and what kind of tips could be used to do this. I have been fishing for stocked trout mainly with nymphs, but cannot seem to catch more trout than them. I am fidhing small to mid size creeks whic h hold stocker trout quite abundantly

Last edited by morphius; 05-26-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Worm dunker vs fly fishing

So many variables.
Last night, windy, on a pond with 4 others, I out caught them 2-3 to one when I finally figured a white rubber spider dragged back just under the water fast enough to throw a small wake was what they wanted. same bug sitting, or twitched...nuttin'

I will enter the dark side when it warms up, ordered some 2 1/2" natural colored 1/8" diameter "worms" for summer doldrums, oh yeah, blasphemer baby!!
Plan on fishing them late morn, early evening dragged over a 3-4' deep sandy bottom
Old 05-25-2010, 05:32 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

too many variables.... what fish are you targeting? what fly are you using? are they trowing to a better hold? what is their bait? etc.....

Are you observing your surroundings? observing the fish behaviors? 'matching the hatch'?

I'm no expert, but I think any mepps type inline spinner will catch many fish solely because of the flashiness-- not because of 'presentation'.... If you are trying to 'compete', but are throwing dries to fish that just are not looking up.... you get the picture. Sounds to me like you need to find a presentation that works on any given outing-- this is most easily done (IMHO) by covering a hold thoroughly with a few different techniques and presentations. Start on top- match the hatch-- if no hatch, try an 'attractor' pattern dry (depending on the time of year-- don't discard terrestrial patterns).... try for 10 or so minutes... No strikes? Try a wet/ streamer/ baitfish pattern at varying depths, varying retrieve speeds, varying presentations, etc....

Nymphs are good options just about any time of year-- and a dry/dropper rig could/ should be fairly productive....

Wordy, I know, but hoping that it helps you out a little.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:01 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

hello. im not sure what your fishing for......... newly stocked fish dont take to much except bait. If you give it a week.....if there is fish left........ you would do better. I believe that they have been on pellets so when fish are first introduced to the water that is what they are looking for. I have been out many times the day after the stocking is done and i dont get squat. If i go back a week or two later i do really well. Usually better than most of them. Lately i been using super fast sink 10 ft polyleader with beadless black woolybugger.If you are fishing very calm water (pond/lake).

They may catch more fish then you, but the little fish you do catch is more rewarding. Cant beat the screams of the reel and the throbs on a fly rod.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:12 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

There may be some exceptions but I think for the most part you will not be able to out fish the bait guys with a fly rod on bass and trout. One thing that is tuff to compete with is the drift that pure mono gives you. I don't sweat it. Shad fishing one day I slayed them and the guys next to me wanted to know what I was using and what color. They could not belive I was laying it on them. That day was an exception but will be remembered.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:26 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

This is not bullshit story, but I've never had a worm dunker catch more than me. Maybe you have better wormers then we do here.

Think like a fish. Not a fisherman.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

At the local stream, bait fishers were doing very well for a month. I did okay, but worms and powerbait guys were cleaning up. On Monday May 10, I showed up to see rises everywhere. I hadn't seen much trout caught in the past week, but the water level and water temps dropped significantly. Air temps were in the low 60's a really nice hatch was coming off. I tied on a BWO, and caught 8 really healthy browns and rainbows! The bait guys got nothing. This was repeated throughout the week, and even into the weekend! There were guys with powerbait, worms, spinners, and even the usual geek with a 10 oz crankbait.

The trout were rising steadily at the end of some riffles, and I was catching them on #18 BWO's. A guy showed up with a spinner, and began casting this chunk of metal on top of the rising trout. There were lots of trout rising, so I kept my mouth shut. After my third or fourth trout, he told me that maybe a larger spinner would help him catch trout. This was the mother of all spinners, and had a complete fox tail hanging of the hooks! When it hit the water, it
sounded like a plane crash. I can only giggle to myself for so long before the nice guy in me comes out. I showed him the size of the BWO, and suggested that he try something much smaller. He decided that silver might work better than gold, instead, and tied on an even bigger spinner! He caught nothing.....

In my "Smallmouth" thread, a fly angler would be sitting pretty. The water was very shallow, and these bass wanted minnows. I suppose a live minnow might have worked, but I've seen a hooked live minnow not work recently. A fishing acquintance uses bait, lures, and a fly rod. You never know what he's fishing from minute to minute, and it works for him. He was fishing live minnows for trout last week, and caught nothing while I was catching on BWO's. He took off his minnow, and threw it into the run. A trout rose, and scarfed that minnow right down. My friend decided to try a minnow again, and still caught nothing. He's a curious type, and tossed another loose minnow at the rising trout again. BAM! He grabbed his fly rod, and tied on a BWO I had given him. Success at last....
Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
This is not bullshit story, but I've never had a worm dunker catch more than me. Maybe you have better wormers then we do here.

Think like a fish. Not a fisherman.

Truth be told-- I have to agree..... Maybe not 'never', but I often see them watching bobbers while I am happily pulling fish to shore. (I just didn't want to be the first to post it.... )
Old 05-25-2010, 10:42 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of bobbers....I know a guy that is damn good at using powerbait to catch stocked trout in a lake. He casts his powerbait out to where the trout
are (he somehow knows), and attaches a small bobber between the tip top and next guide down. His line passes through a slip sinker, and the line is attached to a swivel. The terminal end is two feet of line with a hook and PB. I've seen him catch is limit in under 20 minutes. The trick is waiting for the bobber not to simply move, but to move up all the way against the rod. The other trick is fishing off the bottom, and that lake's fisherman mostly dangle their bait a foot or two below the surface.

While fishing with the rabble, I saw so many people with tennis ball sized bobbers, at least a few ounces of weight, and a ball of worms wrapped around a montrous hook. They caught nothing. The strangest thing is that these rigs were being cast into riffles and runs that were swift enough to carry the entire mess downstream in seconds. I watched a few kids fishing such a rig on the other side of the stream a couple weeks ago, and they finally asked me if worms worked there (I was catching trout). I told them to loose the bobber and weight, and to drift the worm down to the run. I've seen that work before, but one of the boys decide he was going to through rocks at his friend's lightened rig, and you can guess the rest. Poor kid really wanted to catch a trout......
Old 05-25-2010, 10:47 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Morph, I have been FF ing for about 4 years. The first year I didnt catch many fish. I was always being out fished by spin casters and the like. Now that I have some experience, it has improved greatly. Everytime out this year when I've had fisherman near, I have pulled in more fishthan they have. Just tonight, I caught about 20 fish (crappie, bass, bluegill) and my son caught about 50. This was in about a 1-2 hr period. The fisherman near by only reeled in about 10. It did take us about 20 minutes to determine what they were hitting on but once we did. WOW. We both were usingg Dry flys, cadis pattern with brown deer hair and a white calf hair tail. Just be patient and get some more experience....Boser