The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default SmallMouth!!!!

I was able to get to the Neshamony Creek this afternoon around 4:30pm. The trout fishing has been excellent, but dying off. I thought about making one last trip to the rabble section, but decided to fish the more quiet area downstream. There were a number of large fish chasing baitfish in the shallows, but I had already tied on a foam beetle. I caught this decent smallmouth in no time:
Click the image to open in full size.

Nice fight, and about the same as a trout of the same size. I decided to tie a small Black Nose Dace on, as the smallmouth were going insane chasing the
little minnows. I had a hard strike, and an incredible fight began. My rod was a Sage ZXL 8'6" 4wt, and that's what I use 99% of the time lately (8 year old shoulder injury is happy with light rods). The fish looked huge immediately, and jumped several times. My drag was set to zero, and he ran fast enough to create a nice mess around the spool! Here's a video that starts about 2/3 of the way through my encounter:

I finally got the guy in the net, and snapped a pic. Note the small Black Nose Dace in his lip:
Click the image to open in full size.

Not happy with the photography, I decided to take another video. The fish was well rested all of this time, and only out of the water for very brief
periods (it matters to me ). Look for my hand to disappear behind the bass. Finally a fish that does my large hands justice.

After releasing this smallmouth, I spotted another even larger smallmouth. He had his eye on me as well, and even crotching in the water didn't help. That's fine. I was happy with a 16" smallmouth on a small stream in PA!

EDIT: This section of water is very shallow, with the water barely reaching my knees. The smallmouth were in even more shallow
water, and I tried to video them chasing the minnows. I did take some footage, but what kind of angler videotapes when he should be fishing????
Old 05-25-2010, 08:25 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: SmallMouth!!!!

Nice bass Frank! Now isn't that more fun than catching 10" stocked trout with the kids throwing rocks at you?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,
WAY BETTER! I never fished for trout until 4-5 years ago, for the very reason that it attracts too many people. The rock throwers were un unexpected surprise. I had a fantastic two weeks fishing for trout in the rabble section beginning on May 10, and I'm currently putting together that photo essay. The air and water temps have risen considerably, so I decided to go warmwater/native species hunting. It worked... !!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Great fishing report, videos and photos! Congrats!

Larry
Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Outstanding!!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Too cool, Frank!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice smallmouth Frank. Had to be fun on that 4 Wt.