The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Furling : Tippet rings : I'm crying UNCLE !!

Okay, have "learned" how to furl a leader with the MASSIVE help of Popperfly and his VAST amount of patience. Doing rather well with that .. even have learned how to make a respectful Snorb loop for the butt end. Again, thanks to Popperfly !

Now the 2mm tippet ring and the "loop" to attach it .. UNCLE !!!!!

I have looked at countless pictures of this loop and still cannot get the expletive thing right ...

I know there has to be an easy secret on how to do this SIMPLE finish it off loop ... I just can't seem to "get it" .... I did manage to get ONE right waaaay back when and have no idea how I managed to do it right. ????????

UNCLE ! UNCLE !

I am reluctant to bother Popperfly with such a DUMB "how to" question as he has gone above and beyond on his teaching methods of Furling.

Who can help an OLD man with bad eyes and fat fingers ?

Gordon in NC
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly
Default Re: Furling : Tippet rings : I'm crying UNCLE !!

Gordon,

No question is dumb, I will send you some pictures.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 05-18-2011, 02:30 PM

khl is on a distinguished road

Equipment:

-magnifying glasses
-push pin, bodkin, paper clip or something with a pointy end

Procedure:

1. Thread the end of the leader through the tippet ring.
2. Take the push pin and stick it in the hole at the end of the leader.
3. Open up the hole by sliding the pin down a little until you can get the butt end through.
4. Thread the butt end through and make a loop to loop connection with the tippet ring. Once you've got the butt end threaded through, you can get rid of the pin.

Helpers:

I found magnifying glasses help. I use the one I bought for my fly tying vise.

Bourbon. LOTS of bourbon. Steadies the hands and calms the nerves

Good luck!!

Kai.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Hello there,

Well, I make over 100 leaders a week, and yes this is one of the most difficult steps to master.

With using standard materials that you have on hand.

!). finish the shorb loop on the butt end.
2). push a piece of mono (4lb. works, about an 8" long piece will be more than enough). through the "small" ends of the leader.
3). Pull the mono so both legs are equal, push the two pieces of mono through the tippet ring.
4). Slide ring about 12" down onto the leader.
5).Now use what ever tool you use for creating the shorb loop, push this tool through the end of the leader (now with the mono) grab the end of shorb loop and pull the large loop through the small loops.
6). As you pull, the ring will slide down the leader and tighten up at the end.

I hope this helps. My discription may be to simplistic as I go through these steps in my sleep.
If you have more questions, please feel free to email me.

Thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

The fastest way I found is by using a 00 crochet hook. 00 Crochet Hook when using 2.0mm tippet rings for thread furled leaders.

For 3.0mm tippet rings (Fluorocarbon leaders) I will use a #0 or #1 crochet hook.

Step by Step

1) Take your 00 crochet hook, reach in the tippet packet and hook a 2.0mm ring. Ring should now be on the crochet hook.

2) Take the crochet hook and hook the tippet loop, then slide the 2.0mm ring over the tippet end.

3) Remove the crochet hook from the tippet end loop, take your knit-picker and hook the tippet end loop and make sure loop is behind the gate. Knit-Picker

4) Now take the knit picker and hook the butt end loop and close gate. Slide tippet end loop over butt end loop.

5) Pull butt end loop through tippet end loop until 2.0mm ring is securely tighten at the end. Note: put crochet hook through tippet ring so you can tighten and so ring don't slip through the loop.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Last edited by popperfly; 05-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I do the same as Cutthroat, but I use a wire instead. Easier to thread the ring on plus I can use it over and over again. Red wire....LOL easy to see...
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 AM

uscmule is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I'm a total newbie and this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but this is the first I've heard of a furled leader...

Is there an advantage to a furled leader over a single strand tapered mono filament leader?

How to you go about sizing a furled leader to a particular hook size?

Web addresses in lieu of explanations are fine
Old 05-19-2011, 05:11 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmule View Post
Hi all,

I'm a total newbie and this is probably the wrong thread to ask, but this is the first I've heard of a furled leader...

Is there an advantage to a furled leader over a single strand tapered mono filament leader?

I am sure Cutthroat will be all over this, but my answer is furled leaders have no memory like a mono leader. They can be cast by them self. They can me made small and supple but still able to cover a broad spectrum as far as weight.
Mine come in 2-4, 4-6, 6-8 and specialties. I also have a couple of ingredients I add to mine to make them stronger and mono more supple.

Plus, provided you deliver NO wind knots, they can last a season. With the ring, you always keep the tapered leader at the designed length, you just add tippet. And the beauty is, you can add allot of tippet and still be able to turn it over nice and delver it delicately.

Furled leaders do shine brightest on DRY flies, but they have no limits...Nymph, streamers.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM

khl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmule View Post
Hi all,

If you search the forum, there's a ton of info on furled leaders. Both Joni and Cutthroat also sell them. You can hit either of their sites should you want to obtain one.

FWIW, furled leaders definitely have a lot less memory and the ones made from thread are EXTREMELY supple which - I think - makes them ideal for delicate presentation.

Welcome to the forum!

Kai.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:58 PM

uscmule is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses

I'll play around with searching