The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default FlyFishing Spouse/Boyfriend/Girlfriend...???

I know there are several members here with ff'ing spouses/significant others. Do you enjoy fishing together? Is that person one of the people you enjoy fishing with the most? Does it create problems when you're trying to decide where to fish?

My wife never fished until I met her (Villanova U, 1983). I asked her if she wanted to go fishing, and gave her a spinning rod and a lure of some sort. She caught a ton of fish on that first outing, and I caught nothing that I can remember. Fast forward to 10 years ago, and my wife expressed an interest in ff'ing. She's interested in most things I do, including R/C planes! She wasn't a quick learner with fly casting, and often switched back to her spinning rod. I finally convinced her to try ff'ing only for one summer, and she improved greatly. Her catch rate was much lower than with spin gear, but she was proud of her accomplishment. Her catch rate now is enough that she can manage to get something on nearly every outing.

Problems:
She's always saying, "We should take a road trip" to go fishing. I ask where, and she mumbles something vague. We went fishing on the Delaware River this past Sunday, and as soon as we reached the bank, she uttered, "We should take a road trip"...LOL! We were at one of the most scenic sections of the Delaware imaginable, and her first thought was let's drive to some unknown spot.

She can't tie a knot, plain and simple. I've tried to show her, but she doesn't even seem interested. That means I have to assemble two rigs every time we go fishing, and attach all of her flies. Not a big deal, but not ideal.

She's not entirely safety conscious. We sail, and she learned boating safety pretty quickly. I mentioned the Delaware River above, and when she was wading much too deep. I'm nearly one foot taller than my wife, and waded from the bank to one of the little islands that are scattered around this section. When I looked back, she was 100 yards from shore, and up to nearly the top of her waders! I signaled for her to go back, but had to return to tell her she was in too deep. I would have fished that strip much more intently if I didn't have to keep an eye on her. When I asked her what she imagined falling into the river would have been like, she said she'd simply stand up. Good luck! I'll have to buy her a PFD vest, I suppose.

She didn't want to handle her own fish until a couple years ago. After landing a very LMB, I convinced her to pose for a picture. It took another year for her to attempt hook removal, and we used bluegill for her to practice.

Plus Side:
She's willing to buy anything related to fishing...LOL!!!! She wants to fish whenever possible, and never turns down an opportunity. Most Friday nights, she asks where we'r fishing the next day. I don't mind fishing alone, but having company is often fun, and it gives us something to talk about when at home.

How about YOU?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: FlyFishing Spouse/Boyfriend/Girlfriend...???

My wife fished alot when she was younger (and her grandfather was still around). We've never fished together and I don't think she's fished since elementary school. With that said, I've asked her several times if she wanted to learn. I wanted her to take the one casting class I took, but she said I should learn then teach her....like I taught her to drive a car with a manual transmission...right.

Anywho, I got her to at least consider it. I have the perfect rod for her to learn on.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:28 AM

ab fisher is on a distinguished road

i got my fiance to try it a couple off weeeks ago. she grinded her teeth on about 10 white fish and fell in love. she has asked to go everyday sense she has went abnd bought her self some new waders, vest, flies, basically everything other than a rod sense she is just using one of my many rods
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am happy to dating a woman whose idea of a date is to go fishing. It is a win win for the both of us because fishing trips are much cheaper than a night on the town.

Cora has only been fly fishing for 42 weeks. According to my calendar, we have put in 38 fishing days together since her day one. She probably has put in at least 10 days on her own. We always have good time fishing together. Sometimes we get blanked, but that happens to everyone. The rides home are fun because she'll curse at the fish that got away.

I still consider Cora a newbie. Her overhead casting still needs to be polished. In some cases, I wish she could squeeze out 10 more feet. In some cases, I wish she could make a softer presentation. She also has trouble making fly choices.

For someone who is just barely 10 months into the sport, I think Cora is progressing fine. When I got started, I wasn't fishing as much as she, and I wasn't fishing very technical water (Lower Yuba). She prefers to get up close and personal with the fish. Her dead drifts are very clean, and she catches a lot of fish. I made a joke earlier of it in an early post because on some good days, she outfishes me. I like to throw the long bomb. She likes to fish in close.

My proudest moment of her was when she finally landed a certain trout. We had seen a rather healthy trout dart hold under a tree root. Cora has hooked into that fish a few times, but it always would get loose. And because of the tree roots, she would loose some flies. After many attempts, I had Cora change her tactics. I had her swing a Woolly Bugger with a sink tip. Within five minutes, she was able to get the trout to chase her fly. The trout gave her a good fight, but she got it into my net. After all was said and done, Cora caught a 19" wild Yuba River Rainbow Trout. She had targeted this fish six months and finally got it.

I'm being patient with her progression. Fly fishing is a sport that one enjoys over a lifetime. And I feel that we have many years to keep fishing.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 05-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is not at all interested and never will be.
She considers fishing a waste of time and as for catch and release, well that's just plain stupid. If you're going to waste all that time fishing, at least you could bring home dinner.
Married 27 years and she has never once gifted me anything that has to do with fishing.

That said, my buddy and I are headed out soon for a week of marathon fishing as we've done every spring (and many autumns) for as long as I can remember. Just the two of us with no wives to take attention away from the plan.
Fish-eat-sleep-repeat
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing I ever did was teach my wife how to flyfish. We travel together, enjoy the outdoors together, and remember together. Only one problem...she has a killer cast and usually outfishes me

Here she is on the Box Canyon of the Henry's Fork:

Click the image to open in full size.

No downside in my opinion.

Kelly.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I gotta watch out what I say here since Nancy is a member also but...............

She was fishing for Alaska salmon long before I ever considered moving here and had not seriously fly fished for them until I came along. Taking someone from a spin rod that has been paying off for years and putting a fly rod that requires a whole new learning curve in their hands is not the easiest thing in the world. With that said, she uses both and I don't mind. The main thing is to make sure everyone on the trip is happy with how they are fishing. However if I am hooking a fish on every other cast or so she soon will ask, "What are you using" and be ready to head to the boat for that 7wt.

There are days when she catches a bunch of salmon using a big ugly spinner while I come up short casting the prettiest fly from my wallet but.................. if I cast long enough I can avoid getting skunked. All in all she is good to fish with, the trick is to not try to make her go every time I go. When she is ready she will say so. This Friday we are heading to the Deshka River for Kings. (She says so)

P.S. Another benefit is that I get to buy fishing stuff when I shop for her

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

Not yet, but I'd like her to go. She's got a 4 wt rod and reel, but needs some classes first. Do-able and if we get on it maybe she can be ready by our trip this summer. The other situation that we/she would have to overcome is that we love our dogs with us. We would have to figure that out as well or she would just as soon stay in the RV with them. I'd like them with us in the open, but major safety worries are a huge constraint ( Jack Russells so to them a bear is another buddy to play with). Well, maybe, we'll get it figured out soon.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Alaska my wife would fly fish with me, but since we have moved to WY she has no interest. Occasionally, she will go out in the boat and enjoy the sunshine and maybe a glass of wine while I fish. I tried getting her interesed in rowing, but that didn't go over either! Bummer!

Larry
Old 05-26-2010, 07:35 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Nov. 4th 2008, 1am. Mission St. and Valencia. SF CA. Election results are conclusive and there is a circus of cacophonous joy all about the city. I am outside a bar (the Argus, order the Maker's Mark Manhattan when Visa's working the bar) smoking with and talking to an immaculately dressed queer kid about politics. Blue pinstriped suit, white shirt and a striped tie, he lobbied all day and seemed exhausted. He is worried that prop 8 will ruin his chances to get married. I say let the gays experience the misery and doom of marriage and military service like the rest of us have to, but not to him.

A cute tom-boyish redhead walks up and offers the kid a celebratory hug. he accepts. She offers me a hug. I accept. While we embrace I tell her, "You're kinda cute. Do you want to make out right now." She looks me up and down and said yes.

We've been a couple ever since. I had been fly fishing for ten years. She, an experienced backpacker, animal lover and veterinary nurse was completely open to the scene. On our one year anniversary we took fly tying lessons together. As a nurse she has quickly surpassed me at casting and knot tying and fly tying. I am the luckiest ******* I know. She is up for anything and the cutest thing I ever did see at the same time.

I am leaving for great trout water tomorrow. When I get back, We have a week long trip from the June 6th through the 14th. We are going to hit the East Carson and then to backpack over the snowpack into my favorite little stream.

Did I already say that I am the luckiest *******?

"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach