The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 07:04 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Leader Question

Is there a reason why when the leader becomes to short and you have to try on tippet that you just don't tie a loop end to the leader and one on the tippet and go loop to loop? Just like the leader to fly line connection or is it by tying the tippet to the leader the fly presentation is more natural. Just think it would be easier but in that reasoning I must think there is a reason why it is not done.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Leader Question

Hi bass_man,

That is exactly what I do. If I am setting up a leader for Nymph fishing I will cut off the tippet and tie a loop in the end of the leader and loop on the tippet. I then use the tippet loop to fasten split shot to if I am using split shot. If I am fishing a single fly I will use up most of the tippet and then tie the loop on the end of the leader.

To do this right you need a gage like the Mike-Rite or the one from Fishpond. Any one working with leaders should have one of these gauges. I have the Mike-Rite and can recommend it. I have not seen the Fishpond tool. They are both priced at $20.

Frank

Mike-Rite
Click the image to open in full size.

Fishpond Tippet/Leader tool
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Bassman, Go for it, there's no reason not to.

Dan
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Wow, thanks for the good idea, I have never thought of doing that.
Cabot
Old 07-18-2011, 07:22 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Take it one step further and when the winter or off season doldrum get you down break out your spools of tippet material and pull off and then tie them into three ft lengths with a perfection loop at one end and a Bimini Loop at the other. Then loop to loop them all back on the spool to be peeled off and used one at a time when fishing. I use a lot of loop to loop for leaders to leader butts, and tippets to mid section in all but the most delicate presentation conditions or when fishing for Bass in the weeds* and such. Then* I prefer a no knot commercial taper, inserted and super glued into the flyline leaving no knots to catch and hang on the weeds. By the way, that tip above on building tippets came from a Lefty Kreh tip on the subect if I recall right several years back.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 10:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Just use a tippet ring. Tie the leader to one side and the tippet to the other. This makes for the minimum size connection - use a 2 mm ring for this. If you want to do a loop connection, tie a 2.5 or 3 mm tippet ring to the end of the leader and do a tippet loop connection to it.

The tippet ring preserves the end of the leader from fraying from repeated loop connections.

I'm not in the business of selling rings but PM me if you want some to try.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy