The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of the most difficult streams to fish in the world.

Recently talked with Allan(Pocono) about La Vis(the screw)Many people who have fished and travelled in many places in France and all over the world think it's one of the most difficult streams to fish....there are many reasons for that...but a pic is better than chattering endlessly.
As soon as you put a toe in this pool....all the trout will stop feedingso you'll have to wait like a heron....until the fish start feeding again...which may happen...and try to catch one...if it doesn't swim away as you move an inch
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: One of the most difficult streams to fish in the world.

Sounds like Letort Spring Creek in Pennsylvania Jean Paul. I can think of a few others that have offered the opportunity for constructive thought prior to making a cast. Now the big question, do you catch fish there?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A tough stream for me would be the Battenkill in Manchester, VT.
Back when my buddy lived right up the street I fished there pretty regularly but I haven't been back in 17-18 years, might not ever again
Old 05-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: That stream does look like it would be very tough to catch fish. With the gin clear water and shallow depths, it looks like the New Zealand streams we see on the fishing shows. Maybe Chris will weigh in to confirm.

Larry
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sounds like Letort Spring Creek in Pennsylvania Jean Paul. I can think of a few others that have offered the opportunity for constructive thought prior to making a cast. Now the big question, do you catch fish there?
Ard,I haven't fished there for a while ....I caught some fish on the Vis....but must admit I"cheat" a bit....I prefer fishing the rare fastest sectionsand I'm not patient enough to wait for hours in the big pools
Old 05-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You are lucky I don't live near by. I would catch them all!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm....There's a stream not far from me, Valley Creek (Pennsylvania), and it's known for its well-educated native trout. The serious fly anglers were knee pad, and begin crawling long before they reach the narrow stream's banks. I caught one trout there, and that was accomplished by floating a CDC BWO downstream to where the fish were feeding. I've seen guys walking back to their cars in anger after fishing Valley Creek!

I wonder if that stream fishes any better at night???
Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Frank....it's forbidden to fish at night here
Ard....trout sometimes swim away like mad seeing a nymph on a 18 hook....do you want some die of a heart attack seeing one of your huge salmon flies
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Somewhat like Silver Creek, Id. I fished the section downstream from the bridge in a tube. Very clear water, large fish feeding on top all around from as close as a rod length away downstream as far as you can see. Neat, huh? Until you raise the rod to cast and all activity stops out to about 60 feet. Oh, and, you can't get out of the tube there, it's private.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi JP,

So clear and so shallow, way more work than I would want to put in if there were other options. That looks just plain hard to fish.

Frank