The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 PM

wetworth is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forum so ill try to introduce myself. I live in North Central Ohio but have done all of my fly fishing at home in North Central Pennsylvania, mostly trout in Pine Creek. Since i've been bouncing around the contry for work I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on the water since I bought my rod a few years back. I currently have a 8'6" Cortland CL 4/5wt with and Okuma Serria reel. The line came with a Cabela's combo... it's white. I'm headed down to Ohio's Mohican State Park to chase some brownies in a few weeks, anyone have any experience there?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Forum

Wetworth: Welcome to the forum, we have a few folks from PA! I can't help with Mohican State Park, but maybe someone else can.

Larry
Old 05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

I was born in Williamsport and fished all over the area back there. Never made it to Mohican Park though. Good to see you chose this forum and I hope you stay active here..

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Wetworth. Good to have you here.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:06 PM

bass_man is on a distinguished road

Welcome I'm new here too & to Fly fishing
Old 05-29-2010, 08:26 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum from a fellow PA-er!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-29-2010, 10:27 PM

wetworth is on a distinguished road

Glad to be here Since I donít know what kind of line I am using, are there any basic characteristics of a good/poor line?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

If you can cast it as far as you need to, and you are catching fish - then it is a good line!

Actually, the line should consistently float - if it is absorbing water and then sinking (due to cracking or other wear), you can try to grease it with a water repellant. Also, if the line is the right weight for your rod and it loads your rod sufficiently for you to cast 40ft or more, then you are fine.

There have been a couple of postings lately regarding line color, and supposedly white is the least desirable color for a fly line. However, I go back to my original statement - if you are catching fish - it's OK!

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wetworth, welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about the color--- looking up, a light color fly line tends to blend in pretty well against the sky-- and most folks would probably agree that color, especially for floating fly lines doesn't really make much of a difference.

As long as your floating line does float, and it loads the rod well enough for you to comfortably cast your normal fishing distances you should be fine. In many cases it's better to wade a bit closer in streams and fish with shorter casts say 20-40' to get a better presentation and drag free drift than to make 60-70' hero casts across many different current speeds and have your fly dragging all over the place.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

from across the pond