The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many of you have broken rods while casting?

I make things for a living. There is NO way in heck that a replacement warranty does NOT increase costs. Thats a fantasy to say it does not.

And, I know manufactures, the manufacture MUST increase the cost of how much it costs about 1000% jobbers (distributors) about 40% and retailers 30%.
cut out the jobbers and the person who buys directly from whomever still bumps 30% at least. This is how stores stay open, and manufacturers stay in business.

I've worked for some huge companies, Ruger, Winchester- take the Ruger 10/22 IN the box, Ruger has a total of 13.00 for that completely built rifle, last I chatted with a rep. Those barrels they get for 5-6.00 apiece, drilled, machined, blued. Complete- cardboard box and all.
I'd bet my best dog that Sage rod that retails for 700.00 costs Sage less than 100 to make.
And I have NO problem with that, profit is NOT a crime!
Start factoring in down time, injuries, training, getting sued, WARRANTY work, advertising you have to make about a 1000% profit over costs if you manufacture stuff....or....you're gone.
I'll post links to chinese manufactures if you want that show very familiar looking gear for pennies, but you must buy lots that number anywhere from hundreds to thousands.

stasher, hope he replaces that rod, I just dont see how humping a cast can break one of these, unless you had a sinker tied to the line and were using 13# sinking line.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about

Yes, I have broken my TFO 5 wt right in half. It had a hairline crack in it probably caused from a hook nick or some other damage that I didnt notice. That rod was used for 3 seasons pretty hard before it broke. TFO repaired it and I had it back in 5 days.....

I have a few Allen Rods and they seem to be just fine. As someone said earlier...graphite is spooky...

I do believe you had a slight defect and it finally gave way. My son casts his 3 wt 30-40- feet and is quite abusive IMHO.

Boser
Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
I make things for a living. There is NO way in heck that a replacement warranty does NOT increase costs. Thats a fantasy to say it does not.

And, I know manufactures, the manufacture MUST increase the cost of how much it costs about 1000% jobbers (distributors) about 40% and retailers 30%.
cut out the jobbers and the person who buys directly from whomever still bumps 30% at least. This is how stores stay open, and manufacturers stay in business.

I've worked for some huge companies, Ruger, Winchester- take the Ruger 10/22 IN the box, Ruger has a total of 13.00 for that completely built rifle, last I chatted with a rep. Those barrels they get for 5-6.00 apiece, drilled, machined, blued. Complete- cardboard box and all.
I'd bet my best dog that Sage rod that retails for 700.00 costs Sage less than 100 to make.
And I have NO problem with that, profit is NOT a crime!
Start factoring in down time, injuries, training, getting sued, WARRANTY work, advertising you have to make about a 1000% profit over costs if you manufacture stuff....or....you're gone.
I'll post links to chinese manufactures if you want that show very familiar looking gear for pennies, but you must buy lots that number anywhere from hundreds to thousands.

stasher, hope he replaces that rod, I just dont see how humping a cast can break one of these, unless you had a sinker tied to the line and were using 13# sinking line.
CWG,

You and I are in agreement - a replacement warranty does increase costs. What I also said was the warranty is just another cost factor that is included in the overall cost/pricing structure, and the warranty replacement cost that the individual consumer pays is simply the marginal (incremental) cost for one additional rod (mainly materials and shipping) - e.g. no fixed manufacturing costs, admin costs, marketing costs, etc. My recognition that there are some good profits in the rod industry was not a negative comment - if the rod manufacturers are not making sufficient profit, they will not be able to conduct development and research into new technologies and products. If they are not making ANY profit they will be out of business!

I am curious as to when/where you worked for Winchester? I worked for Olin/Winchester for 20 years at the East Alton plant/headquarters. Then changed companies and went to work for Anheuser-Busch (thus the forum handle). I am well aware that the materials and actual manufacturing cost of a round of ammo that sells for $1 is usually only a few pennies, and I also know that the $8 beer you buy at the ballpark? the actual fully absorbed cost that the brewer makes on that beer is only about 16 cents. Isn't our modern consumer society just wonderful sometimes?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM

brew, I gathered "you got it" I was referring that sales/rep guy who said it didnt, LOL

Lesley Dengler (I'm sure I ruined the spelling) in charge of the "custom" shop.
I duplicated half a dozen prototype stocks for a (at the time) scaled down version of the M-70 medium action full length stocks. My understanding was it was a deal where the finished product would be used in test markets to see how desirable something between the short and long action would be in a "classic" full stock, shadowline cheek etc
Yup, 1000% is the rule of thumb to stay in business, sounds huge, but its not- one hiccup and that months profits are pinched.

edit: trying to recall the year..late 90's I'm thinking 98ish.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Stasher?? end game results, hear back from the guy??
Old 06-06-2010, 01:39 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

I had to send him another email which he responded to on Thursday. I have to box up the broken tip section, ship it back, and he'll send me a replacement when it arrives. I tried to buy a backup tip section as well in case it breaks while I'm away from a computer but he doesn't have any left in stock. He's taking a tip section from a complete rod to replace my broken one.

In theory my little 3wt should be up and running again in a couple weeks. In the meantime, my Redington CT will have to do. It's a 5wt. but it's a much more moderate action with a soft tip. It has the backbone to handle decent-sized bass, but a little hand-size 'gill puts a decent bend in it as well. Very nice feeling rod.

Kinda wish I had bought a 3wt or 4wt CT instead of the Gremlin...
Old 06-06-2010, 01:43 PM

well, that is cool and might certainly have me looking at his stuff later this summer.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

I really like the little rod, but the durability of the replacement tip section will determine whether or not I can recommend it to anybody else.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:21 AM

cketh is on a distinguished road

Nope, never. When I was a kid I did lean my Dad's favorite nymph rod on the open door of the pickup while I took off my waders. One gust of wind later and it wasn't a 2-piece any more.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

If having a temper tantrum and smacking the rod on the water counts as casting, then, yes, I've broken a rod during casting. A $40.00 Custom brand 90% graphite 8'6" 4 wt. Made in Korea, I think.
I wasn't used to the shorter rod and kept hanging casts in the willows. ARGH! That was old, Bad, John behavior and I don't do that anymore... with fishing rods.
I sent a carefully worded letter to the mfg and told them how much I liked the rod, I'd bought several (there was a stack of them in the sale bin at my local drug store), explained what happened etc. Got a new tip in a week for 5 or 10 bucks. That was about 12 years ago. Still have the rod. Almost never use it.