The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough
Default How many of you have broken rods while casting?

A little while ago I picked up a sweet little 7'6" 3wt for harrassing the sunnies and 'gills, paired it with a Medalist 1492 and some Aquanova DT3, and it had been great for the few times I'd used it.

I was out on my local pond earlier this evening and noticed some sunnies hitting the surface about 15'-20' past the point I had been casting to, which was about 30' or so off the bank. Determined to catch the little buggers, I stripped off a bit more line, made a couple false casts to get the line out and my poor little 3wt rod snapped in half, about 3"-4" above the joint.

There was nothing behind or above me, and I didn't hit anything with it. It just snapped.

Was I just pushing it too hard trying to make a 15 yd cast with a rod that length/weight, or was it just defective? It's still under warranty, but I don't think they should have to replace it if it was my fault.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How many of you have broken rods while casting?

Sounds to me like it was defective. A 15 or 30ft. cast should easily be done with that setup.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Sounds like a defective rod. It could also have been a hook nick, if you have ever hit the rod with the line while casting. Sometimes all it takes is a little insignificant scratch to make a weak spot in the rod. No sure fire way to tell. Send it in under the warranty and they will check the rod. If it is a defect they fix it for free if it was some type of abuse they will charge you.
One thing is for certain, you did not break they rod by trying to cast to much line!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM

That's kinda what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure before I contact the manufacturer. It easily handled the 20-25' casts, but gave up the ghost when I went for the 40-45' cast.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the title of your thread, yes, I have broken a rod while I was casting. But I will attribute that to use and abuse.

In your situation, it could be anything. It could be a little nick or some sort of impact. It could be a defect.

Take it back to the shop that you bought it from to deal with the warranty. Most manufacturers will charge the handling fee regardless if the problem was theirs or yours. Currently most manufacturers charge $50.

MP
Old 05-29-2010, 05:09 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Yanno, I keep reading about rods breaking and its in the back of my mind certainly when I'm humping longer casts.
Sorry to hear about that stasher, wasn't that the one with the broke handle? Lemme know what happens.

Onto graphite, its spooky stuff- I'm an archer and have seen first hand what can happen to those stronger than steel magic shafts when an unseen flaw or nick is in it.
I broke one graphite rod when they first came popular, mid 80's- leaned heavy into a salterwater sheephead, set the hook but the line broke at very upside of my power stroke, snapped in two spots, weird, happens
hope it gets replaced promptly

CWG
Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Snapped a 7wt when I thought I was hooking a King but was ripping into the boulder he was lying beside. The swing stopped the line went tight, I knew he was there so I gave it the old make it or break it hook-set and that one broke. As I type this I seem to remember snapping an Orvis 9' 9wt on the Salmon River NY during a very similar scenario. Sounds like abuse on those two but the Orvis was replaced at no cost. The Grey's Platinum X............ they charge $165 for a new mid on one of those.

While casting............... hum, only one occurrence comes to mind. I fished Francis Branch of Slate Run with my bamboo flea rod for about 11 years on a very regular basis. The branch wasn't the only place I used the flea but I was there between 30 - 50 days each season. One day (I'm not sure what I did wrong) I was fishing along and suddenly something felt really out of sync with the rod. I stopped the cast and examined my little friend and found a long splintering area in the tip section just above the ferrule.

After a hike to the Bronco (also known as The Thunderbolt Grease Slapper) I was able to get hold of my extra tip but there was a looming pale of uneasiness about the remainder of the day. I hobbled through the remainder of the summer season with a single tip and then sent the rod to an old acquaintance in Vermont who had built it. He reported that he could neither determine a material flaw (bad node) or any abuse / misuse (hook strike) made by me. Since this man was set to retire from his work soon I opted to have two extra tips produced for the rod and can happily report that all three tips are still strait and whole.

The company replaced the broken tip at no cost and supplied me with the extra at a cost of $100. Always inquire with the maker when there is a problem with a rod regardless of whether you have friends there or not a reputable rod builder will be there for you. Send your rod in...............

Ard
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
Yanno, I keep reading about rods breaking and its in the back of my mind certainly when I'm humping longer casts.
Sorry to hear about that stasher, wasn't that the one with the broke handle? Lemme know what happens.

Onto graphite, its spooky stuff- I'm an archer and have seen first hand what can happen to those stronger than steel magic shafts when an unseen flaw or nick is in it.
I broke one graphite rod when they first came popular, mid 80's- leaned heavy into a salterwater sheephead, set the hook but the line broke at very upside of my power stroke, snapped in two spots, weird, happens
hope it gets replaced promptly

CWG
Yes, it was my little Gremlin 3wt. Looking over my records, I rec'd the first one on the 14th with a cracked grip, and replacement butt section showed up on the 17th.

So, it made it less than two weeks before giving up the ghost.

The guy who sells them is away for the weekend, so it'll be Tuesday before I can talk with him. Hopefully I can get it replaced, but I don't know if I'd trust the replacement. It's a nice little rod, but its performance so far is not inspiring confidence in its durability.

I was trying to save a couple bucks by buying an inexpensive rod and it appears to have bit me on the butt. Might need to look into something in the $150 range like a TFO Pro or Sig., Redington RS4, or possibly another Redington CT. Something with a lifetime warranty...
Old 05-30-2010, 02:23 PM

wetworth is on a distinguished road

Does losing a fight with a pine tree count?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:32 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I'm real happy with my "entry" level Grey's G-series.
Very inexpensive, life time warranty, and so far, their customer service is more than I expected.
I'd like to actually fish a bunch of brands vs. wiggling them like a nit in some store, but I'd buy another one if need were there.