The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 07:27 PM

wetworth is on a distinguished road
Question Sinking Line

I'm going back to PA next week to chase around some more trout. I would like to try wet flies for the first time and would like advice on what line to buy. I have a Cortland CL 4/5wt. Someone mentioned to me 4wt WF ST line would work with my rod, but I have no experience to go on.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Sinking Line

Where are you going to fish? Knowing this will help with advice.

Secondly; wet flies is rather a broad description for your tackle choice, could you be more specific as in what type of flies. There are standard wet patterns, nymphs, and streamers. Not all situations call for a sinking line. Actually very few might need one. I'll wait to see where and what you are going to be up to.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm going to be fishing Pine Creek from Camal to Waterville (my uncle has a camp ). And... uh... wetflies is the best description I have. I've always used a spinning reel if the trout weren't working the surface. I was basicly planning to mooch flies off my uncle whom I know nymphs. I haven't a clue what the differance between wet patterns and nymphs are. Streamers I believe are imitation bait. It's exciting when you discover how much there is to learn.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Camel to Waterville has a lot of big slow water. If you uncle advises fishing the tail out water at the end of the pools or the riff's going in then I would not bother to use a sinking line. A sinker will be just that much harder for a beginner to get the hang of.

How familiar are you with line control? (mending to allow a better sink rate) Have you ever used a weighted fly or leader.

There are a lot of Small Mouth Bass in the stretch you will be floating, are you going to be after them as well? I see you will be there next week, why not go up stream and fish from Cedar Run Down to Slate Run? Or from Slate to Camel?

I would say Slate to Camel is the best stretch on that area of Pine.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM

We normally fish the riffles unless the fish are working the surface. I'm very familiar with that strech of water so I was going to try this where I knew there was fish, but i'm sure I could convice my brother to spend a day a little further north (hes driving). I usally don't go after the bass. What applications would I need a sinking line for?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Administrator

If the water is deep and swift or just plain deep a sinker is a nice touch. For drifting nymphs through the riffles I like weighted flies and a long leader on a DT line. That's just the way I like to use them others will advise you to use an indicator. Your uncle will be your best source for real time intelligence because as you may have noticed I am in AK. and have been for half a dozen years. It's been awhile since I floated pine, I used to have a drift boat that we used there when there was enough water. We would start at Ansonia and float / camp our way to Slate. When the canyon stretch was wild (no trail) the fishing there was very good.

These days many people use floating line, floating strike indicator, and weighted nymphs. That will probably be your best bet.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I would agree with Ard, if Im fishing nymphs and wets I use floating line, if you have trouble getting it down you can attach sinking tipps from 1 inch per second sink rate through too 6 inch per second they come in 5 ft to 15 ft lengths and have a loop at each end (I will use these over split shot any day they can be a dream too cast and are very efective)

if the sink tip is too much down or up the river then just remove it because the loops are so easy too remove they can give a dry/wet/nymph line for almost any situation for the smallest cost and some will even turn over long lengths of un-tapered tippet

Chris
Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Not much experience either, but here's my most recent for what it's worth. A bunch of us went to a high Sierra lake three times in the last few weeks. The first time I used a floating WF + a long leader/tippet (12')+ split shot. The rest of the guys were using integrated full sink lines. They figured that I was down 5-10 feet, and they were 15-20 feet. Next couple of times one of the guys brought me a reel with full sinking line. I had a lot more hook-ups. Since then I bought a sinking tip to use on my floating line, but haven't yet. Still a little confused. I also worry about dragging a floating line underwater all day since I know that's not the way it was to be used.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:32 AM

I think i'm only trying to get down 2-5ft. No more than 10 in one hole. Do you make loops at the end of the fly line / leader? Must be less time consuming than a nail knot...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator

If you use tips or lead heads a loop to loop connection is used, then a level piece of tippet. If you are trying ten feet depth............I would go with an 8' 25 lb butt, then the lead head, then the tippet. If the current is swift you need to get that head or tip down and the butt section will allow it to get busy sinking.

This is not the most delicate set up for feeling the take of a nymph. I use it for deep water streamer and wet fly fishing.