The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM

dsssox13 is on a distinguished road
Default How to tell the difference between a wet and dry fly in your box

When the flies are in your fly box,how do you know which flies are dry and which ones are wet? Thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 PM

wetworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to tell the difference between a wet and dry fly in your box

I'd like to know too since it's too late to come up with a better anwser than "the ones that were in the water"
Old 05-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Dsssox13 and Wetworth

Good question, flies can be pretty confusing. One good way to get a handle on different patterns is to take a look at the different categories of flies (dry/wet/nymph/streamer) in the fly pattern section of a big online shop like Orvis or Cabelas so you can start to recognize different ones.

But here are some examples of dries and wets and some things that you can look for on your flies to tell the difference without dumping them all in a bowl to see which ones float.

Traditional dry flies generally have lighter wire hooks and have stiff hackle collars and many have stiff tails that help them ride on the surface. Some modern dry fly patterns like ants or grasshoppers may also be made out of foam, or have wings made from an arc of deer hair, or a synthetic like Poly. And there are some dry fly patterns called Parachutes where stiff hackle is horizontally wound around the wing like a the rotor on a helicopter (instead of the more common style collar of stiff hackle wound vertically around the hook shank like the propeller on an airplane.)

Some popular examples of dry fly patterns are Adams, Elk Hair Caddis and the Royal Wulff. Here are some examples of some flies that forum members have tied in some of our fly swaps:

Some dry flies- note the light wire hooks and stiff hackle:

Here's a dry tied called Nico's Favorite tied by member Jbbfly (Jean Paul from France). Note the stiff hackle and tail:
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's an Elk Hair Caddis (dry fly) tied by member Luked

Some wet flies-- note the heavy wire hook, and "soft" webby hackle collar on this Reid's Assassin tied by member Blue Dun:

and on this Nimmo's Killer (wet fly) from member ChrisinSelwynNZ (in New Zealand)

and on this winged wet fly, a Lead Wing Coachman tied by member Pocono

Other types of fly patterns are more obvious that they'll sink like this Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph tied by member Brandy:

Hope this helps--- and feel free to post pics of any flies you're not sure about -folks on here can probably give you a good idea of what you have.

Last edited by peregrines; 05-31-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Like Peregrines said you learn which materials are used to make a fly float or sink, especially if you tie.
I'm new enough to remember how tough it was at first. After awhile you can identify flies by just looking at them. A quick and easy way to do that is get a basic fly tying book even if you don't plan to tie. The book will put the flies w/pictures in the different catagories, dry, wet, nymph, streamer, etc.
After you know which is which by sight it's easy to pick from your fly box. However, I still keep dries, wets, etc, separated on different sides of the box, or separate boxes.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 PM

What I know right now is that i have a birthday coming up, which hopefully means I have a Dr Slick tool set in my near future I spent an afternoon carefully mimicking the instructions (I'm such a noob I cant remember what it's supposed to be ) for a dry fly. It took a few hours but I landed an 8 inch Brookie. New rod and a fly I tied myself, thats a moment ill remember and treasure. Here's an image of my fly I saved after releasing my beautiful brook trout. There's no tail because... well... who knew deer hair works poorly for that?

Last edited by wetworth; 05-31-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Pic fail
Old 05-31-2010, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In order to post images you need to make a photobucket account and then load from there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-31-2010, 12:14 AM

Thanks, I didn't think my first attempt would work.

Last edited by wetworth; 05-31-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you use photobucket, you can copy and paste the image url directly. In order for the image to appear in the post, it needs to be bracketed between
[img]fill in space[/img]. Photobucket does that automatically, but right clicking on an
image will show its "Properties". That's the url you want to bracket with the
[img]fill in space[/img] for the pic to show in the post. A direct link without the bracketing works, but the picture will open in a separate window.

Here's your pic using the photobucket IMG code:
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 AM

Ah, there he is! I'll track down the photo of my little bookie soon. It may not have been large but that fish was a large part of why I'm here now.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

And i just found where photobucket has the IMG link, I was using the HTML link. Thanks for the direct point in the right direction!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Wetworth-- very cool congrats on your fly ...... and your fish.

I always suggest folks retire the fly they caught their first fish on--- and especially in your case since it's one of the first flies you've tied!

BTW I fixed the pics in my first post---- hopefully they're showing up now.....