The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Quick question about a 7wt. Rod

I recently received a Berkeley Technique Series 7 wt. 2 pc. rod as a gift from a good friend, and being a relative newbie, I don't know a thing about it. So, I thought maybe a few of you would be able to gve me some info.

Through my own initial observation, the rod appears to be a medium action, maybe a medium fast action. I want to throw heavy clouser-style minnows, and/or heavy nymph rigs, such as the sj/zeeb rig we throw at the wade-in at the Ferry. Throwing heavy streamers and C-minnows I'd like to throw maximum distance casts (under ideal conditions this would hopefully be 60-80 ft).

So, my question is, if I can't find 7 wt. line, should I go down a step to 6 wt. (i.e., Rio Grand, which is size and a half, or SA textured mastery GPX), or step up to 8wt line? Or should I just find some 7 wt for the performance I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Quick question about a 7wt. Rod

I don't think you'll have any problem finding a 7-weight line.

I'm not a fan of overlining my fly rods.

Randy
Old 05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'm with Randy on the line issue Rich. I am fully aware of the almost constant discussion regarding up - lining / down - lining fly rods and although many of my own rods will preform with very little difference one size either way I've never been compelled to follow the heard when it comes to using any other than the prescribed line weight.

If there are actually rods being produced that fail to preform with the line weight labeled on the butt of advertised for the blank then this is an issue the rod builder / seller should address with haste. I am not saying that circumstances do not exist where having a lighter or heavier line may produce a better desired result for an individual but on a whole I think most people are using 7 weight line on 7 weight rods.

Being able to deliver heavy payloads with 'any' weight rod and line is the result of developing technique that fits your specific needs and not the yield of some hocus pocus that occurs with the purchase of a certain fly line. I just spent 5 days fishing with a 9' 7 weight rod casting a size 2 feather wing streamer with two BB size split shot clamped onto 7' of 12 pound leader. Although I had no need to cast 70 - 80 feet I was using the rig regularly at 30 - 50 feet and it was pleasant. I can reach the distances you are describing with the rod if the need arises but I do not worry over the line weight, I simply change the energy and dynamics of the cast.

In short, get a #7 line

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2011, 04:33 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
In short, get a #7 line
Old 05-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with the Technique model
Is it blue and obscenely thick in the butt, near the grip ?

The current Berkley line is called "Cherrywood" and I believe before that was the Preforma (or something like that). There was a "Granger" (shame on them) not too long ago too. I might be missing some.

Before those there were these blue rods that I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure that they only came in 7wt. Fiberglass and very cheap... less than 10 bucks
Old 05-25-2011, 11:10 AM

grousehunter49 is on a distinguished road

If you,re used to casting long, undersize by one, A rod is balanced by so many feet of line, after that it overloads, Loomis will tell you this. I over line my 5# to 6# It works better for me, I do a lot of roll casting because I have no room on back of me. Some rods don,t like to be underlined of overlined, you have to find out what works best. GOOD LUCK.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:55 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm not familiar with the Technique model
Is it blue and obscenely thick in the butt, near the grip ?

The current Berkley line is called "Cherrywood" and I believe before that was the Preforma (or something like that). There was a "Granger" (shame on them) not too long ago too. I might be missing some.

Before those there were these blue rods that I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure that they only came in 7wt. Fiberglass and very cheap... less than 10 bucks
No, it's not thick, and the color is kind of a brown color. The rod is graphite; maybe I can find a pic somewhere.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Thanks for all the info and advice guys. I think I'm going to try the Rio Grand 6 wt line I already have for starters as it is line and a half. A couple practice sessions should give me enough feedback to make a decision from there, though I'm leaning towards finding some 7 wt line. To tell the truth, if I can get the thing to throw a mouse more than 50 ft, I'll call it good, regardless of what line I put on it.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark