The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 AM

marivi is on a distinguished road
Default float tubes - - Help!!

Does anyone here have any experience with the Buffalo Open-Front Float Tube? I have an opportunity to buy a couple at what I consider a LOW LOW price... but am wondering WHY such a LOW LOW price????¸

Has anyone ever owned one of these : http://img.shopping.com/images1/di/7...77-100x100.jpg
In your experience what is the best buy out there in terms of quality/price...

I want to buy my hubby a tube for his bday but am at a loss as to which to buy. (and one for me too... so we can go together)

What do I need to consider - price of course - but what else!?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Victoria
Old 08-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: float tubes - - Help!!

Victoria,

Welcome to the forum! I think that you will really enjoy it here.

You might try contacting Steve Robbins (our site admin) and owner of The Full Creel Fly Shop.

The following link is the line of watercrafts that he has on line and I'm sure he can get what you want if he don't have it. Steve, has been really great to the members of this forum and I expect that he would be no different to you.

http://thefullcreel.com/index.php?cP...51d90771fd3605

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 AM

thanks...

but budget is a big consideration here. the link takes me to what I consider high-end gear... i need something more 'modest'... do any of you know anything about the buffalo tube?

Ciao
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Seriously, send Steve a private message and tell him what you are looking for and I'm sure he can help you. Click on the link and it will take you to the mail with his user id.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

The "things priced cheaply are usually made that way" rule applies to float tubes as much as anything, except it is more important in this case because poor construction in a float tube can lead to a long swim in cold water and/or expensive gear sinking to the bottom of a lake. There are some very affordable tubes out there for not much more money. I would shy away from buying fishing gear from a "industrial supply" website featuring a picture of the product that looks like it was taken with a camera-phone.

If you send Steve at The Full Creel an email or PM, which I also recommend doing, ask him about some of the cheaper Caddis brand tubes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies.

ciao
Old 08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to something for you body, DO NOT SKIMP! That is life jackets, floatation devises. etc. You can fish from a $150. tube with a $29.00 rig, but not the other way around.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:28 PM

Re: float tubes - - Help!!

YIKES

Make me feel like a schmuck. I understand that you don't play with safety. I would never do such a thing. I am a responsible adult - mother of three!

But if the tube in question has the same guage PVC bladder and has the same denier nylon and has tripple stitching like the more expensive brands, then why pay more???

Just asking if anyone has had any experience with the tube. It is not because you pay more that you 'get more'. Manufacturers today are private labeling many things. It costs NIKE all of $3.00 to make their $150 shoes. If the same people making the NIKE shoes put a different label on the same shoe why would I pay for a label? I am not impressed by labels but by actual specifications... this is why I wanted to know if anyone has tried the tube in question and has had the opportunity to 'touch and feel' it.

--

I am done here.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Steve (The Full Creel) can get incredible deals. What not pay less for highend stuff?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by marivi
YIKESMake me feel like a schmuck. I understand that you don't play with safety. I would never do such a thing. I am a responsible adult - mother of three!But if the tube in question has the same guage PVC bladder and has the same denier nylon and has tripple stitching like the more expensive brands, then why pay more???Just asking if anyone has had any experience with the tube. It is not because you pay more that you 'get more'. Manufacturers today are private labeling many things. It costs NIKE all of $3.00 to make their $150 shoes. If the same people making the NIKE shoes put a different label on the same shoe why would I pay for a label? I am not impressed by labels but by actual specifications... this is why I wanted to know if anyone has tried the tube in question and has had the opportunity to 'touch and feel' it.--I am done here.Thanks.
Not getting down on you at all girl, in fact I think it is way cool that you are researching and want to get the best you can for your hubby. Specially the fact that you want two so you can get out is a BIG plus.
You are right on the stats, but I would definitly go with a repitable name brand. I have bought a no name before that had all the stats, but the material cover and thread was not up to par, and blew a seem, threw it away.
I DO agree on LABELS, but in the same breath I do look for BUCK, SCADDEN, OUTCAST for their track record, plus I don't care for PVC bladders, but that is me. I have never heard of BUFFALO, so you are on your own on that. Sounds like you know what to look for.
By the way, what is the price on them?
AND YOU ARE NOT A SCHMUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!