The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough
Default Am I too picky?

I was down at the river fishing last weekend and saw a guy dunk his reel in the water as he was untangling the end of his fly rod. Now I don't have the real high dollar stuff but I still couldn't give my reel a dunk in the water. I am pretty particular about my gear. This isn't the first time I have seen this happen but just wondering if it does damage anything.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I too picky?

Not that I am aware of other than in the winter the gears freeze up. Of course if there is a sandy bottom, that might make a difference also. I do submerge mine on stillwater, and I do use quality stuff.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 AM

tlcgpw is on a distinguished road

nothing wrong with putting your reel in the water.
it's a FISHING reel made to get in the water.
ok what do you think happens when you reel in a fish.
there is water on the line and your reel gets wet.
just make, cleaning and lubing your reel every so often,
you should be fine.
see ya Greg
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If the reel isn't safe to take a dunking, a better reel should have been bought. This is also true if the fishing is being done in saltwater. The main drawback of dunking a reel is having a wet cork grip to grab onto afterwards, but they dry out pretty quick.

I would advise against dunking a reel alot into dirty water, but other than that it should cause no real problems.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcgpw
nothing wrong with putting your reel in the water.it's a FISHING reel made to get in the water.ok what do you think happens when you reel in a fish.there is water on the line and your reel gets wet.just make, cleaning and lubing your reel every so often,you should be fine.see ya Greg
Man you get around LOL Hi there Greg
Old 08-17-2006, 12:08 PM

tlcgpw is on a distinguished road

hey Joni,
i think i've seen you some where be for to.
hows the fishing up there??
hope to get out to Calif. in sept.
do some fishing with BD, shelly and B.
see ya Greg
Old 08-17-2006, 01:36 PM

If you make it to the Rocky Mountain's you best give a shout if you know what's good for you he,he,he
By the way, any one who doesn't know Greg, check this out:

Click the image to open in full size.

He makes beautiful nets and from what I hear fly boxes (although I haven't seen those yet
This is an 18" trout from the lodge to give you an idea of the size. Rubber catch-n-release netting. LOVE IT!
Well, I guess we hi-jacked this thread enough.
Joni
Old 08-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

I don't see a problem with dunking most fly reels because most if not all of the parts are made out metals or composites that can handle water and not rust. It shouldn't be an issue with most the modern reels of today.

Nice, fish & Net by the way. I appreciate you sharing them.

Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

Well, the water really isn't what I would be afraid of, It is what is in the water such as sand an such. Also the river I fish has a rocky bottom and scratches and such to the reel would not set well with me. Guess I am too picky.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 PM

mrheuer is on a distinguished road

Ya know sometimes our stuff gets in the way of what we really love to do.... FISH. O I need this new gadget and that will help me fishing or this new rod will make me a better caster. Go out and enjoy yourself and catch some fish, your equipment is made to use not sit in a box on a shelf. Dunk the reel, the rod and your whole vest for that matter. It all drys and as for the scratches most of mine have fond memories of trips, boats, rivers and fish. Makes them more important to me then a perfect real.ENJOY!