The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 11:51 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about
Default overgrown weeds

Made it out this weekend. Had some success fishing, but had a question.... Its now getting to the time when the banks are becoming overgrown. Any tips for mauevering threw the brush and not picking up ticks? At one point i had weeds over my head and was crawling with bugs... so much for getting off the beaten path trying to get to some more remote areas!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 AM

wetworth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: overgrown weeds

I'm not sure walking though the bush and not picking up ticks are compatable... They sure are tenacious little buggers. Got like 10 of them one time at Manassas Battlefield. If you live in an area with ticks I'd do a thorough check each time after I got home.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Looks like a wild brown or one who has been there for awhile. Dress for the bugs is all I can say. Think about a complete set of bug mesh, not hot but protective. Nice creek, looks like a spring?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-02-2010, 04:41 AM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

If you are wearing your waders, you should be protected sufficiently from ticks. If you are fishing from the banks, or have weeds higher than your waders, then you can treat your non-wader clothing with Permanone (which contains 0.5% Permethrin). You spray the Permanone on your clothes (not on your skin) several hours in advance and allow it to dry completely. It will remain on your clothes for about 2 weeks, and will even last for 2-3 washings.

Permanone does not repel ticks like DEET, rather it will chemically disable the ticks so they cannot crawl, and it will even kill ticks with sufficient exposure time. Permanone, when dry, is not highly water soluable, but you do not want to introduce any chemicals into a stream, so do NOT spray your waders or other clothing you plan to get wet. I do not know what effect Permanone would have on wader breathability or waterproofing. Permanone is generally pet safe, but as a precaution you should not allow your pets to lick Permanone treated clothing.

I have been using Permanone regularly here in the Midwest for years, and it does a great job of keeping the ticks and chiggers (redbugs) away while you are working or having fun in the field. Add some DEET to your exposed skin and that is about as good as you can do short of a full netting bug suit!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Before Lyme disease, I would battle my way through weeds and brush to get to the really good spots. I wore waders, but there always seemed to be several ticks on my chest, neck and head. My mother picked them off before I jumped in the shower, and I later enlisted my wife's assistance in that task. From what I've read, Deer ticks take a while to get a firm hold on your skin, so a shower after fishing is supposed to wash them away.

My wife and I were fishing a stream that has a few paths, but most are getting thick with weeds. There's one path that gets beaten down regularly, and we used that, and waded upstream. It becomes a simple time equation for me: do I spend a bit more time wading from a clear path, or do I spend time picking ticks off my body and clothing? When I add in things creeping around my neck, I usually go for the wading further option. Carrying a wading staff can be useful for keeping your balance in the stream, and pushing aside taller growth while walking.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 PM

il_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura aboutil_wi_fishing has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like all good and useful info so thanks for that.... and yup it is a spring creek

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing