The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM

jackd001 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie with a question

Okay so I'm new to fly fishing and want to know your opinions on this rod and reel. I'm thinking of buying an Islander IR3 (Islander Reels: Products) to put on a Sage flight 586-4 (Sage Fly Fishing - Flight Series & Outfits). What is the difference between large arbor and standard arbor? I'm going to be fishing trout and its a 5 weight rod with a 5-6 weight reel. I'm a total beginner so really any advice is cherished. Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 07:44 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie with a question

Hi Jack,

You will get more advanced aswers than this but there are a few differences between standard and large arbor reels. First, large arbors with hold more line and backing then the standard arbor. Also, you will be able to retrieve line faster with the large arbor reel.

As for the rods, a 9foot 5weight is in my opinion the best all around rod. Im sure many other people would agree. It is exactly what I fish with. I also use a large arbor reel.

Hope this helped a little.

Bobby
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 PM

So would a large arbor reel make more sense? I live in Bayfield, WI and some of the rivers up here do get kind of tight which is why I was thinking about going 8'6'' for my rod size but is that 4 inches really going to make a huge difference in casting and just overall performance?

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

I was just looking at the specifications for the Islander IR3 versus the Islander IR3 large arbor and it says that the spool volume was less with the large arbor than with the standard? If its larger wouldn't the volume also be larger? Heres a link to the site with the specs-http://www.islander.com/products.php?prdRef=false&specs=true&lbm=true&lblw =false
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyc21fish View Post
You will get more advanced aswers than this but there are a few differences between standard and large arbor reels. First, large arbors with hold more line and backing then the standard arbor. Also, you will be able to retrieve line faster with the large arbor reel.
Jack,

No disrespect intended towards Bobby. His answer is somewhat correct in regards to what are the benefits of a large arbor reel when comparing a same line weight large arbor reel to the standard arbor counterpart.

Modern reels have gone on diets. To balance out with the newer generations of lightweight graphite rods, reels need to be lighter. Not too long ago, it was standard practice for reel companies to make large arbor 5 weight reels with enough space for line and 100 to 120 yards of 20 pound backing. Nowadays, it is acceptible for reels to have 75 to 100 yards of 20 pound backing. An IR4 Large Arbor holds a WF5F line with 75 yards of backing. The Ross Evolution LT 2 has the same capacity. Remember, excess backing adds weight.

In regards of the large arbor and standard arbor versions of the Islander IR3, there are differences. The IR3 Standard Arbor will have more line capacity for a 5 weight reel than the large arbor version of the IR3. This is due to volume being taken away by the large arbor. The IR3 standard arbor has the capacity for a 5 weight line. The IR3 Large Arbor has the capacity for a 4 weight line. Since the outer diameter and the spool with are the same, line retrieval rate is the same.

If you want to get the benefits of a large arbor reel that Bobby mentioned, you should look at the IR4 Large Arbor reel. This has the capacity for a 5 weight line and backing. And due to the larger diameter of the spool compared to an IR3 Standard Arbor reel, the retrieval rate will be faster.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 06-02-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jack,

Bobby makes good points. Here are a few more, depending on the reel a regular arbor may hold a whole bunch of backing and once it has the backing on board it is essentially a large arbor reel if you can picture what I mean. I have two LA reels and the rest are standard arbors. I honestly have no real preference and I have salmon charge right at me pretty often. It is like hunting with a pump shotgun compared to an auto loader. When I shot at grouse you couldn't tell what I was using. I can keep up with a Pacific Silver Salmon coming right at me with either reel.

As for best all round rod. Many people have many favorites, I will not burden you with a recommendation but.............. My favorite if I had only one.............is an old Orvis 7' 9" Far & Fine 5wt. I can cast a little farther with my 9' rods (and I have a 9' 5wt) but I cant fit the 9 footer into little streams for wild trout very easily. I'm not saying buy an 8' rod but you will have to figure out where you are gonna be the most and go from there. Trust me, before this is over you will own more than one rod.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM

Thank you guys for all this great information!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Jackd,
I have several Islander reels, all in larger sizes for use in salt water. All of my Islanders are of superior quality, with amazing drags. They will stand up to many years of use and abuse. As for the rod.....go with what feels the best to you.

Good luck!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:59 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

First and possibly only rod for the summer? I'd go with an 8'6"-9' 5wt. I haven't cast the Flight, but have cast the Sage Vantage on the water. The
Vantage is an excellent rod, especially for its price. While I like the idea of
using a 9' rod (and I own a few), I always seem to grab one of my 8'6" 4-5wt
rods. They are definitely lighter to cast, although a 9' rod can put out line with maybe one less false cast. I've been nursing a shoulder injury for 8 years
and do all I can to keep it from getting sore. Ard mentioned shorter rods, and
I'd love to use the 7'6" rods I have more often. They light, and get the job done on narrow streams. Mending line is a bit more difficult, however, so that's something to take into account. I was fishing with my wife last year, and we were drifting nymphs. She with an 8'6" rod, and I with a 7'6" rod. We
switched rods so that I could un-wrap the leader from around her rod tip, and
I then cast the the longer rod. It made mending so much easier! It's not often
that you get to stand in one spot, and use two different rods in succession
like this, but the comparison is very revealing.

Reels for your intended use: Anything you'd like. The advantages of large arbor have been discussed, but I like a larger spool mostly for its ability to
get line back in quickly when moving from spot to spot. If a small fish like trout is running directly at me at high speed, I find it's easier to just strip 4 feet of line at a time with my non-rod hand.