The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 11:22 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please Don't Squeeze the Trout! Video...

Another yahoo mishandling a fine trout:

At the 50 second mark, you can see its right eye bulging out as a result of this guy's death grip! I've seen that happen once before, but the person had every intention of keeping the fish, and was trying not to drop it back into the drink. It was still gruesome to see (no pun intended).

I have shot video a few times while playing fish, but I haven't done anything that would harm the fish in order make filming easier. You might notice that a
majority of my pics are taken with the fish in/over a net. That allows me to either not handle the fish, or at least not worry about loosing the fish before
getting a pic. If I don't intend to take a photo, and a net isn't required to land a particular fish, I now simply push the hook out of a fish's mouth to release it.
The fish stays in the water, and my hands stay clean.

P.S. Here's a pic with a trout over the net. I don't have to squeeze it at all, because if it falls, it falls into the net. It's quick and easy.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Don't Squeeze the Trout! Video...

Frank: That video was tough to watch, very rough handling of the fish.

Larry
Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Larry,
I was hoping the guy planned on keeping the trout when I saw him swing it onto the bank. After it's eye bulged out, I was a bit shocked to see him release it! Hopefully I don't seem to sanctimonious with this issue, and I realize that my own need to get a picture increases the amount of time I keep fish out of the water.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frank,

I think that your fish abuse messages are right on! Many new anglers haven't a clue of proper handling of a fish that is to be released. The more this issue is addressed the less I mess around taking fish pictures. Good work and the message is good I tried to rep you on this but I gotta spread some around first.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-04-2010, 07:50 PM

mighty fly is on a distinguished road

I knew the trout was in trouble when I heard "where'd the string go"
Old 06-05-2010, 02:16 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

Who the Blankety Blank was this stupid blankity. Realy i think they did this on purpuse.No body can be that stupid, oh I thake that back.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well I finally watched the film and now it's time for my heavily opinionated and self righteous comments.

This business of being able to put whatever on the Internet is something I don't do too much viewing of. I did however make a few observations that I haven't seen mentioned regarding the feature.

1. Great line handling as is noted by the fact that this poor soul has not evolved to playing a fish from the reel.

2. Fly rod laying on the ground, I've been around this game long enough to tell you that if you make a habit of that you will have trouble.

3. The person who made the video is needy and perhaps a co-Dependant type who seeks recognition.

4. If anything can be learned from this it may be; "Fish for yourself not for me because I really don't care why you are fishing".

Fly fishing has taken a turn as did turkey hunting where I grew up. For some (key operative word 'some') it is a way to demonstrate your prowess as an outdoor type. For the majority of us we fish alone or with a close friend and seek nothing more than the spiritual cleansing that a day on the water offers. Don't hold your breath waiting for my You Tube movie to come out.

Somewhat opinionated,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Hi Ard,
I agree with what you've written. Most of the YouTube stuff is silly, or worse. There are some great videos on there, however, from Davie McPhail's fly tying
videos (must see!), casting instruction, and even proper fish handling. Some of the ff'ing videos have great production value, and some of these folks put a lot of effort into filming and editing.

Last year, I posted a video of a kid catching and then drop kicking a good sized bream. The video was titled "Fly Fishing/ Flying Fish".... I reported it to the YouTube people, and it was pulled in a few hours. The kid was around 13 years old, but his mother was there filming and laughing up a storm!!!! It offers a glimpse into what's going on, both good and bad, and around the world at that.

All this talk of handling fish has made me think that I'll save the pics for the extraordinary fish I catch once in a while. Maybe that 180lb tarpon I keep dreaming about.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:59 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Leave him a message.
I did
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I left a message, too.