The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 AM

pmarc is on a distinguished road
Default selecting a trout fly fishing boat

My choices depend on these factors, thanx:

1. the local reservoir
2. very light transport 75 yds to water from p/u truck - 1 trip preferred
3. high enough off water to cast easily
4. don't want to use waders while in boat
5. some storage for small tackle box and lunch
6. real nice to stand in boat, but not required
7. 1 or 2 seats - [will decide with candid talk with son]
8. $500 or less

I'm looking at inflatables; 1 or 2 people pontoon or canoe. Trying to not go up the usual learning curve with experience. What are the nuances of using these types of boats?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selecting a trout fly fishing boat

Hey Pmarc, welcome to the forum. Where abouts are you?

We have a bunch of folks including Joni and Mojo and other members that do a lot of lake and reservoir trout fishing so I'm sure you'll get a lot of first hand advice.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi And welcome to the forum,

I have had quite a few experiences with fly fishing from boats and have owned a selection. When fishing still waters wind is a factor, not just to the cast but in that it is going to be moving you around. The higher your profile above the water the more the wind will mess with you.

For ease of navigation a keel on the boat will deliver better tracking as opposed to a real flat bottom but a true flat bottom will be much more stable than a keeled boat. Whether or not you are going to be using a motor of any sort is also a big consideration in the type of craft you chose.

As for meeting your price point and weight specifications you will be hard pressed to get under the wire in all regards. Addressing the; "3. high enough off water to cast easily"
I have a 13' Fishcat two seat pontoon boat that provides the passenger with a great casting platform with a safety rail to lean on. The oarsman can have a decent time of it by replacing the stationary seat with a swivel. This is not a good tracking watercraft and it is easily affected by the wind. To remedy this I use two anchors one fore and one aft. You do not have to wear waders while on the boat and it is a very stable casting platform. The downside is I paid $2000 for it.

A small flat bottom boat will be the most affordable and will get you on the water but remember this; if you are ever going to have two people fly casting from a small boat at the same time you must synchronize your casting so that you are not both trying to throw at once and you both have to be very good at control.

These are only observations I have made on a few different types of boats I'm sure you will get other responses that may suggest the perfect watercraft for your needs.

Ard

PS. Before considering a canoe remember this; don't take anything on board a canoe that you can't afford to lose.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM

I'm now favoring the pontoon personal. Boats are unstable when you reach for gear. Pontoons appear to have about everything within reach without getting up or moving forward. And rowing is more productive than paddling.

I live 25 mi west of Boston, Ma. Reason for reservoir is it's local. There's 3 species of trout plus stocked salmon.[COLOR="Silver"]

I'll need an 8' or just smaller. Want to fit in 8' bed on pickup. Will never deflate it. Probably want motor mount for if I need it. On the other hand why am I using a motor? [If it's windy why am I fly fishing]?

These products look like @ 50 lbs. Heavier than I wanted, but 2' shorter than my job boat I'm selling. Should be easier to port. Looks like I'll be making 2 trips to the water, at least. So much for ideals.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a Fishcat Cougar that is a one man and will fit the bed of a truck. It has two gear bags but you better have your waders on unless it is really warm there. With this one man job you sit closer to the water but the model I am talking about has 4 air bladders and comes with motor mount and rear cargo deck for lunch and etc.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Pram? That could be an option. Here is a link that I just dug up.

MP
Old 06-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Not bad but the price! I can't find any sources in New England, at any price.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Just my thought.
Canoes are the traditional fly fishing platform here in New England and you're not going far wrong in buying one. Used ones are cheap.
Far more versatile that a float tube or a pontoon, they're useful for still water, rivers, and even protected salt.
I have a 45 year old Lincoln which was made in your neighborhood ( I think).
It's heavy but still easy to portage, easier than my kayak that weighs less than half as much.
Plenty of storage and room for two, but still easy to maneuver on your own.
I stand to fish in my canoe along with paddling (with a 6' paddle) and poling. It's a flat bottomed boat, not a river canoe. Made for fishing
In the salt I'll take my kayak, but fresh water, the canoe is best.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Rip,

You just beat me to it........although I don't recommend people not familiar with canoes to take expensive gear out in one; I used an Old Town Discovery 160 for years. These have a 40" beam and for a canoe are quite stable.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Stupid Q but how can you tell from photos which pontoons are flat-style or for river? Most pontoons look curved to me.