The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM

fats is on a distinguished road
Default Orvis Zero Gravity & Orvis BBSIII?

Hi, I'm new to Fly fishing and have ben lurking in this forum for a bit and have a question. I can buy a 2 year old Orvis zero gravity 8'6 5 wt 4 piece and a orvis BBSIII w/ backing/line for $350. The seller states that it was lightly used only twice. Is this a good deal? I was looking to Spend between $300-$400 for a beginner set up before this became available.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Orvis Zero Gravity & Orvis BBSIII?

I haven't fished the Zero Gravity, but before the Helios came out about 3 years ago, this was Orvis' top of the line product.

I think its a pretty fair deal and if you like the way it casts, then I would pick it up.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! You don't go for it I will!!! Seriously, that is a great rod. I have the four Piece 6 wt in the 7.5 flex. LOVE that rod.
The BBS III is more for a 6/7 isn't it? No matter I guess cause it is light.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well.....It's only a deal if this rod and reel suit your needs. I've found great prices on cars that were too small, boats that were too big, and even rods that just weren't what I needed. You'll have to get a feel for casting, and then judge whether the Orvis rod feels good to you. Your best bet is to enlist the aid of a casting instructor, or someone very competent. You should also try a couple of other rods, just to see if you like a stiffer, or more supple rod. They are quite different, and your success with casting depends on your ability to work and learn with a rod. Some people do terribly with the same rod that others find fantastic.

Because you will not be the original owner, you won't have the Orvis warranty on the rod/reel. The owner may not have registered the rod, but I'd check such a claim thoroughly. Just something to consider.....
Old 06-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I just sent a rod in for repair that I never sent the card in for. They didn't question it at all.
Kind of, "If it has our name on it we cover it thing".

Right you are on getting the right action. I agree 100%. This is a top notch rod and reel however for a TFO, Okuma reel price.
Plus it beats going into Wally World and buying a combo...LOL

Thing is, if the rod is a tip flex, it will be goo with bigger bugs, wind and more forgiving of operator error.
If it is a mid flex, it will offer a good learning aid plus delicate presentation and save on tippet.
Very light weight is a plus as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 AM

fats is on a distinguished road

Just some more info...

The rod is a mid flex according to the seller.

The Orvis website says that the BBSIII is for 5-7 wt line.

Thanks for all the advice. I have my first casting lesson tonight so hopefully this will help me make a more informed decision on what rod fits my needs/casting style.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:13 AM

That mid flex is a hard one to beat. It will help teach you to wait for it and let the rod do the work.