The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default opinion if I should keep this rod

I fished in Marthas Vineyard this past weekend but Instead of bringing my sage TCX I used a loaner rod from another company and I was in heaven with it even in the 30 mph gusts I still put my flys out there (unless I had big streamers or fattys on)

anyway now I'm thinking
if it was one of you guys would you stick with the much more technical rod thats very fast and sometimes unforgiving and just grow into it and eventually your meeting its potential OR would you just step back and get a more easier rod that costs 1/2 the price that is "for now" more enjoyable to use --> keeping in mind you might wish you stuck it out with the TCX that you originally paid some good money for!

wondering if I should sell it or keep it but I only have an official 1-year of saltwater under my belt and I like to tell people I'm still wet behind the ears and learning something new every time I fish with someone.
maybe put it in the closet and use something else but that hurts too..

just general chat and wondering what people think.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: opinion if I should keep this rod

If money is of little concern, buy a more forgiving rig now, give that rig to someone to get them addicted to the sport who would otherwise not bother getting new gear, and you have an instant fish partner as well.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My first thought is why limit yourself to one rod. My buddy and I will be out on the Cape all next week as we have done every June for the last 15 years.
We'll have 7-8 rods between us. We count on breaking at least one rod a year. One year we broke 3.
Second, what makes you think that the fast action rod is a better fishing tool than the slower action rod you enjoy using more?
I suppose that if you're only going to be fishing high density integrated lines from a boat, the fast action rod might be best, but personally I've never gone along with the fast rod hype. I started in the salt 30 years ago with a medium slow fiberglass and today the rods I use the most are a medium fast IM7 and a medium action IM6.
My fast action rod only gets broken out when it's needed.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
I fished in Marthas Vineyard this past weekend but Instead of bringing my sage TCX I used a loaner rod from another company and I was in heaven with it even in the 30 mph gusts I still put my flys out there (unless I had big streamers or fattys on)

anyway now I'm thinking
if it was one of you guys would you stick with the much more technical rod thats very fast and sometimes unforgiving and just grow into it and eventually your meeting its potential OR would you just step back and get a more easier rod that costs 1/2 the price that is "for now" more enjoyable to use --> keeping in mind you might wish you stuck it out with the TCX that you originally paid some good money for!

wondering if I should sell it or keep it but I only have an official 1-year of saltwater under my belt and I like to tell people I'm still wet behind the ears and learning something new every time I fish with someone.
maybe put it in the closet and use something else but that hurts too..

just general chat and wondering what people think.
I'd say it depends on what you can get for the TCX. If you can get 75% of what you paid for it, thus allowing you to buy a rod you like fishing better, and have some money left, what's not to like?

I can tell you that being able to sell that rod with the warranty card will get you a substantially better price.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I'm to hedonistic to "grow into" a damn thing myself.

I fish for pleasure.
And if that pleasure is half price well let's just say that improves other parts of my life...like my sex life

I'm new as well but I dont' think every rid fits every fisherman either. You may well NEVER grow into it...perhaps it just doesn't suit your style?
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I would like to kmow the brand of the other rod that performed so well for you.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

well didn't really want to Push a brand here so I'll PM the name but its a new company on the market and I was impressed even in the high winds we had out there that day and it even comes with 2 matching tips (why doesn't sage do that)

but the fellow that sticks with the mediums I sort of agree because I still have my sage Graphite 2 which to me is a medium action and I can shoot the tightest loops with that than any other rod--> so it makes sense that it should shoot as far as the TCX with the same line speed,,, also thinking of "overlining" the TCX to give it more feeling especially at night..

well thanks for letting me pick your brains a bit and get some ideas..