The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 08:13 PM

Troutnut is on a distinguished road
Default New Troutnut.com FINALLY up! 2000+ new bug pics

After more than 20 months of no updates on Troutnut.com, I'm very very happy to FINALLY release the new version!http://www.troutnut.comI've done several all-nighters photographing mayflies and other trout stream bugs over the last two seasons, and all those pictures are up on the new site. I'm using a really cool camera setup, so the pictures are a LOT better than anything on the old site!I also spent about a month writing up the useful-for-hatch-matching behavioral details of every major American hatch and hundreds of not-so-major ones. Check out the Hex hatch, Isonchia, or White Flies for starters, or my personal favorite unsung hatch, the really cool Baetisca mayflies.Here are some shrunken sample pics:Male Hendrickson Dun:Click the image to open in full size.Male Isonychia bicolor (Mahogany Dun) spinner:Click the image to open in full size.A Leptophlebia cupida mayfly I photographed molting from a dun to a spinner:Click the image to open in full size.An Isonychia bicolor Nymph:Click the image to open in full size.Hex nymph head close-up:Click the image to open in full size.An Isoperla (Yellow Sally) Stonefly:Click the image to open in full size.A Hellgrammite:Click the image to open in full size.I've also added hundreds of new trout stream scenery photos like this one:Click the image to open in full size.I'm breathing a HUGE sigh of relief now that I've got this online, but I'm going to keep working on it full-time. It's just nice to have something more to show for it than, "It's coming! No, really! It is! In a month... no, now in a month... well, maybe in another month..." Apologies to all who were disappointed by my optimistic release date guesses! Hopefully you'll agree it was worth it. Let me know if anything on the site malfunctions. I had the help of several very good testers (like Taxon from Fly Fishing Entomology) but it still hasn't been tested under a high volume of traffic.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Troutnut.com FINALLY up! 2000+ new bug pics

Bugs give me the creeps...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:29 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Great pics. & One Heck of a website.. Thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: New Troutnut.com FINALLY up! 2000+ new bug pics

Jason,
I love bugs. You did a great job on the new site. I admire someone who puts so much effort into something that they love to do. Awesome website. I do like to study bugs and have refered to your site in the past often. I look forward to using it more.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-19-2006, 11:29 PM

mobarclay is on a distinguished road

I checked out your sight yesterday and looked at some of the underwater photos - AMAZING! :holy: I am VERY impressed - keep up the good work!
Chris
Old 08-19-2006, 11:58 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

WOWWW!!!!!!!:holy:
Old 08-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks. Now that I've got it up I'm trying to finally get out and do a good amount of fishing, but the rain is keeping me inside! I can't wait for the first sunny few days in the Catskills now!
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM

mrheuer is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: New Troutnut.com FINALLY up! 2000+ new bug pics

Beautiful Site. Very nice and full of information. Thank you for all the time you put into that. You are an amazing photographer!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Heck of a website alright! The "Bug Pundit" shirt is great, I might have to get one. Sure would draw some odd looks in the grocery store though. That and i'm not really a bug pundit. More of a caddis fan myself. Love the fact that theres basically two categories of the underwater version, and you just need to get the size right for the adult.

I suppose my oversimplification may be offensive to such an expert as yourself, but I like simple, active bugs that trout gobble up with wild abandon.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 AM

I'm glad you like the Bug Pundit shirt! I'm thinking of ordering one for myself, too. And when I get around to it I want to put those bug stickers all over my little troutmobile.

Have you read LaFontaine's Caddisflies? You won't look at them quite the same way again! You're right that they always seem pretty simple... just a few stages to match. But sometimes it just seems like nothing works during certain caddis activity. With the help of that book I'm just starting to get a grip on why.