The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 12:52 AM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to fish a dropper fly?

im sure i get more than my share of tangles.. if the tangleing setup catches more fish it may not be fun to deal with the redoing of the rig. but if fishing all afternoon produces no fish with tange free setups, it just doesnt appeal to my idea of how i want to spend the afternoon.. dave..
Old 08-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57
When I use a dry/dropper setup I tend to get the line tangled. I'm sure it's just an issue with my casting.
just remeber when fishing a double rig to slow down and watch for back cast. Try roll casting also, you should get as many tangles with a double rig or even when using an indicator with a roll cast, and with practise you can get more feet. I roll cast a lot and I can roll 60 to 70 ft now.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:17 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Joni, I never thought of slowing it down. I have been working on my roll cast, it's getting better.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57
When I use a dry/dropper setup I tend to get the line tangled. I'm sure it's just an issue with my casting.
I am the same way.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 PM

Troutnut is on a distinguished road

When I fish a dry fly and a nymph, or two dry flies, I tie the rear fly to the hook bend of the first dry, attached by 1-2 feet of line. The top dry fly seems to ride in the best posture that way.

Sometimes I fish three wet flies. In that case, I tie on the first fly, then attached another segment of line just above it with a blood knot, tie the second fly to that one, do it again, and then just tie the end fly normally on the end of that piece of line. It works nicely. I usually keep them about 2 feet apart, which is awkward for casting but good to cover a wide area.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:18 PM

Woolly is on a distinguished road

Joni has it nailed........
Watch your backcast: Open up your tailing loop a little by casting in a larger arc than you would with a single dry and wait just a little longer before the forward stroke for everything to get around the loop.

It's a lesson learned from several driftboat trips I took where the guide gave me that withering look when I just birdnested 10 minutes of his line set-up efforts within several casts. I listened to him on how to cast and it works.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You can also throw what's called a belgian cast, where the backcast is slightly sidearm and the forward cast is more vertical. This makes your backcast turn over in an oval and greatly reduces the chances of tangling. I know it sounds weird, but can be very helpful and it becomes a very natural motion.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.