The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Funny fishing stories

so i figure we got a good deeds, and a tips thread that we should have a place to share our funny stories with everyone. i searched and didnt find any thread like this

now i dont have any fly fishing stories as i have just started but i do have a some from back home fishing the bays.

so one of my friends had been begging me to take him out for red fish a while so i finally when they started to run i took him out along with my dad and one of his friends. well i loaned my friend, daniel one of my nicest rod and reel for the day, i threw on a mullet with a bobber for him and out it goes. about 5 min later he decides its a good idea to set it on a seat and not in the rod holder as he grabs a beer, well guess what happends? my rod goes FLYING out of the boat. i yell to him "GO GET IT" he just looks at me with a "are you serious" look on his face. so what do i do? i dive in after my rod. my dad is yelling at me where to go as im swimming after this fish, about 15-20 min of this and i finally get a hold of the line, follow it back to the rod, and swim to where i can stand so i could fight this fish. i ended up bringing the fish in and what a beauty it was a nice 26" slot red.

last fall my dad and i decided to go out and hunt some flounder, so we wake up and we're on the water at the crack of dawn, the water is glass smooth, there was no wind or nothing causing waves, and we are doing about 50mph in the middle of the bay (normally we can only go 20-30). im sitting up in the front just relaxing enjoying the wind in my face when all of the sudden i see these 2 HUGE waves out of no where, it was to late to say anything and we hit them. i was launched as if i was in a catapult and flew from the front out of the back of a 22 ft boat. i start looking around to see where those waves came from and there was no boats, no wind, and no other waves. just 2 waves that had to be atleast 6ft tall rolling on their way to shore. i still have no clue where those waves came from but it does give my dad a good laugh every time he thinks about me flying over his head all sprawled out.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:24 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Funny fishing stories

That sounds like quite a flight...No fun at the moment, but loads of laughs for the rest of your life. How many times you can tell that one over a nice stout.

Here is another thread from a few months back that I got quite a few replies to. I wont tell my funniest story again here, but you can read it on the link below, its the first entry here:

Funny Encounters On the Stream
Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, my buddy and I were fishing a steep beach on Cape Cod.
Seals have been an increasing problem over the years and while in the past they would hang out and watch you from beyond the sand bars, recently the more experienced (bigger) will now sit out of direct sight in your "blind spot" behind your outer facing shoulder. They're wicked smart.

My buddy had hooked a good fish and was in the process of landing it when a big bull gray appeared out of nowhere. My friend clamps down on his line and backs up quickly, up the shore, dragging the fish out of the water and up the sand with him. Well the seal wasn't about to give up that easily. So here he comes, all 600 pounds.
My friend, he starts screaming like a girl, waving his rod, trying to look menacing.
The seal apparently didn't like the looks of that and wasn't really into chasing a fish through the sand and so lumbered back into the sea.
My buddy was shaken from the experience.
I of course was laughing my fool head off.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 05-26-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: skipped a word
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

good stories! lol.

a while back i was fishing with my brother....and you know how the other side of the stream always looks better?... well, the other side looked really good to me so i started to cross the stream. it wasn't more than 2 feet deep but it was very very swift.... i started crossing and halfway from either shore, i lost my footing and got swept downstream about 30 yards.... i finally crawled to shore. my brother had followed me into the water when he saw me go down.... he ran up to me, kneeled down and asked if i was ok. i nodded my head and coughed out some water.... then he burst into laughter and said "all i saw was your head barely above water and your arm holding your fly rod out of water!!! you'd rather save your fly rod than your own life!" i started laughing too and replied "probably."..... then we both got up and looked around and he turned to me and said "this side sucks."
Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Good stories guys.
Couple years ago i got the itch to fish one October day after a rain storm had dumped about 3inches of water on us. I talked my son and girlfriend into going .It was in the low 50's and the water was high but clear, well we only took one rod so i asked my son if he wanted to fish first but he declined saying it was cold the water was cold and i was crazy for wanting to go fishing when we could be deer hunting.Well i got in without waders and started to fish this high water and found the fish thought i was crazy to because they were not feeding ,so after about 100 yards of this i had managed to cross the creek and they were on the other side. I came to a nice pool that had an 8" water line across the creek and i had walked it many times to get across,but there are always fish in this pool . Well i gave one of my best casts to the only stick that was lodged against the water line and caught it ( yes wrapped right around it) I yelled to my son to just walk out and unhook it since it was close to him ,so he started out and said he could not walk it so he sat down on it and started to scoot out to where the hook was, well he almost got there when the pressure of the water on his upstream side got to be to much and pushed his leg under the pipe and him with it he came up down stream hollering to get his hat . It was so funny but that ended the day with no fish but a good memory forever ( he found his hat down stream ).