The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Default Re: GAS prices are FALLING!!

Gas at Broken Bow yesterday. $2.39, Poteau Ok $2.37
Old 09-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Dang! ours is still around $2.87 to $3.05. Haven't seen anything like you guys are. It is still outrageous in my opinion! We got all these oil rigs a PUMPIN' away up here.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I like how you emphisized pumping, made me laugh. Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 09:39 AM

mobarclay is on a distinguished road

Yesterday: $2.35
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 AM

havoc is on a distinguished road

gas is 2.45 in evansville. How is it that gas companies are posting record profits when they claim to be selling us gas at a rate comparable to what it takes to refine it?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc
gas is 2.45 in evansville. How is it that gas companies are posting record profits when they claim to be selling us gas at a rate comparable to what it takes to refine it?

The gas companies have been showing record breaking profits for years. One of the only companies that can say that and it sucks. They have got each and every one of us right where they want us.
I remember last year the price hitting $3.00+ around this same time (okay, they say Katrina), but I remember the sigh of relief when it went back down to $2.87. Come on! They knew what they were doing. And Bush just say's we need to buy Hybrids. I just bought my gas powered car, don't know about you, but I ain't ready to sell it at a loss to buy a hybrid.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:32 PM

havoc is on a distinguished road

What we need is a gas consumers union, a co-op for refining fuel. The people would get the crude, then refine it, and sell it less than the oil companies.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:47 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

there in the process of talking about building a new ethanol plant up here by me. don't know if that would help but it can't hurt.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ethanol is better than nothing, but not by much. It takes more energy to create ethanol than it itself contains. http://www.energybulletin.net/5062.html This is like burning $30 worth of gas to go to and from a job that pays you $25/day. Only makes sense if you are getting a subsidy for doing that job, as is the case for Ethanol production.

Biodiesel, on the other hand contains much more energy than it takes to produce it, but no biodiesel lobby exists that has the power that the corn/ethanol lobby does. And US automakers seem to think putting diesel engines in vehicles smaller than a Tahoe is a non-starter. I happen to think a smallish SUV or medium size sedan with a diesel engine that got about 40-45 mpg would sell like crazy right now.

Here's some more info on the ethanol vs. biodiesel debate- http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/13/bu...rssnyt&emc=rss

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 AM

STARMedic is on a distinguished road

Someone explained to me once not long ago that we dont use the oil we discover, bring in and refine....that we use only foreign oil while the foreigners use our oil and gas.....Im not sure if this is correct and I pretend to know absolutely nothing about economics....I do know that day after day in the papers I see Oil companies posting record profits, new spots being opened up for exploration, and some of the largest oil discoveries in history being made.....Heck, I was on the Chevron Genesis project for quite a few years prior to becomming a Medic Rescue peon....

Why is it that as one of the largest producers of oil/gas and one of the largest buyers markets for this same product, do we bear the burden of high prices...?

LOL, back on topic gas here is falling as well....2.50 ish day to day...

Bruce