The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why do I always hook them on the left side???

I've been watching this for some time now. Why do I always hook fish on the left side of their mouth??? I look back at pictures, watch what I catch it it ALWAYS happens. Went out this morning for a few hours and again, 2 Bass, and about a dozen panfish. ALL hooked on the left side of the lip.
Does this happen to anyone else? I cast with my left hand and strip with my right, don't know if that matters...

Last edited by swirlchaser; 05-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why do I always hook them on the left side???

Because you're left handed. Simple physics and the rotation of the earth's axis, combined with the intellect of the fish as to whether it's swimming away from you or swimming towards you right before taking the fly- or taking it north to south. Instead of south to north.

Or it could mean nothing at all.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Because you're left handed. Simple physics and the rotation of the earth's axis, combined with the intellect of the fish as to whether it's swimming away from you or swimming towards you right before taking the fly- or taking it north to south. Instead of south to north.

Or it could mean nothing at all.

I agree with Mojo's last sentence, but the first part was a fun read.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought fish were left finned.

Dave
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I'm assuming you hold your rod in your right hand (left hand retrieve)?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke em View Post
I'm assuming you hold your rod in your right hand (left hand retrieve)?
No, right hand retrieve, hold the rod in my left hand.

Thanks Mojo, I figured you would have the answer.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM

When you say left side of their mouth, do you mean the fish's left side, or on the left as the fish is facing you?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poke em View Post
When you say left side of their mouth, do you mean the fish's left side, or on the left as the fish is facing you?
Left side of the fish's mouth. I usually take pics with the fish in my left hand, the fly is always hidden. My buddy thought I did it on purpose because I didn't want anyone to know how I caught them. That's when I realized my fly is always on the fish's left side.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Well I don't know; but that is bizarre.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird. I hook them randomly all over the mouth. I even hooked a small Pike on the top of the head last evening. A couple of years ago I even hooked a Walleye in the .....Uh..... Pooper. They fight good hooked in the ....pooper.