The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Outfit for a 5 year old?

My son comes out to denver for about a month and a half, and I would LOVE to get him started fly fishing early. Anyone have any suggestions on a decent outfit that he can grow into or should I just go with the cheapest I can find for a year or two? We'll probably fish 2-3 times a week. Just dont know how bad/good the cheap outfits are. I dont want something to break and be SOL of 50$
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Outfit for a 5 year old?

Sometimes, what we love, isn't going to be the same love for the kids. If you have a spare rig, you may want to try that first. When my nephew was 3 to 5 y.o., he loved fishing. Now...he is 17. Won't go more than once a year.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Cabela's makes a 5' 4wt glass rod for $100. I would think that would be small/light enough for him.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I also have a 5 year old boy. Last year (he was 4) I went through my pile of old rods (some broken, etc) I found an old 6wt-2-piece rod. I modified the cork handle to accept the upper peice of the two piece rod. Beleive it or not, this little 4'-6" rod casts amazing. I understand this will only work if you have an old rod you are not using lying around, but many of us do.

I love the idea that you are getting your son into fly fishing so early. If at all interested, I will send you some thread furled leaders out to try. I hand make these leaders, and they are great for novice to seasoned fisherman. Just IM me with your mailing address if at all interested.

Enjoy your time on the water with with your boy....
thank you,

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I know there are a few companies out there making youth rods. Redington has the minnow series combo that is an 8' 5/6 wt rod and comes setup with a reel, backing and line for 99 bucks.

Home :: Outfits :: Minnow :: Minnow :: Outfits :: Minnow

My kids are now big enough to take out with me and are now getting an interest in fishing so I went out and got them a Sage Launch 8' 4wt for about $130 and it works great!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I've heard a few good reviews on the Echo Gecko. looks like a fun rod for kids.
Rajeff Sports - Airflo Flylines, Echo Rods, lots of fly-fishing advice

Here is another link with outfits for youngsters:
Fly fishing rods/outfits for kids

Let us know what route you go and a review if you will.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi hypobaricstalker,

You will be facing a lot of problems trying to fly fish with a 5 year old. Most kids at this age can't concentrate on a single thing more than a few minutes and then they want to play at something else. You don't say if you son is already fishing and you want to switch him to fly fishing. If this is his first fling at fishing I would get him a spinning rod instead of a fly rod. The important thing is for him to catch fish and that will be a lot harder for him with a fly rod.

If it was me I would not get him a very short fly rod. It takes some skill to cast a shorter rod and it is hard to manipulate the fly line. I think a 7' to 8' rod would be a better choice.

In most cases when you two are fly fishing together it will be him fishing and you helping and looking out for him. I don't think you can turn a 5 year old loose on a stream by his self. So why not let him use your rod until he loses interest then you can fish.

I suggest you go to Walmart and get a rod there. It will be your cheapest way to go.

Frank
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my daughter is 4 and a 1/2 and my wife and i are considering actually putting a bobber and hook on her dora kids rod. i'll cast it out and we will go from there. im assuming my patience will be tested, but thats ok.

as far as a fly rod for her,....its gonna be a while. my brother was gonna buy her one of those pink ross combos they make for kids and i told him to wait 4 or 5 years. i have no desire to practice my hook extraction skills on a screaming 4 year old

casey

ARFE
Old 05-28-2011, 07:45 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I bought my son the eagle claw feather light fly rod for $20, and stuck a lever action spincast reel on it. He gets to fish a "fly rod" but he can cast it like a spinning rod. letting him hook fish on this rod gives him the fun and flexibility of a fly rod, without all the hook extraction worries of a fly rod. Also, he is now 9 and starting to occasionally ask to learn to cast a real fly rod.

Just a thought.

d
Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

HBS,

Why not just take him out with one of your rods and use the time as a learning/ demonstrating time?

I just started taking my 4 and 7 yr. old sons out with one of my fly rods only--- (before we'd dunk worms under bobbers). Water full of sunnies, and a size 12 chernobyl ant will keep kids busy for days.....

I cast and 'present' the flies, I make sure the hook is set, and then I hand the rod to them and let them strip it in. I de-hook the fish, and set it into their hands to be gently released. They take turns retrieving and releasing-- every fish is a lunker, and there is no drama, whining, or crying allowed.

They know how a fish feels on the fly, they know how to release a fish gently, and they (I think) understand what 'cover' is-- my oldest (7 yrs) can spot areas in water that look like they'd hold fish.

I may be overly cautious, but I am hesitant to set my 7 yr. old out casting with a hook on the end just yet. We practice on the lawn (with a ball of yarn). He has a looooong way to go with form, but he is well on his way to becoming a fly fisher.