The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: ArmorAll for line cleaner?????

Excellent reads from top to bottom in this thread; gave it a '5 star' rating.

fae
Old 05-28-2011, 11:53 AM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: ArmorAll for line cleaner?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Google "303 Protectant". It's quickly replacing armorall on a lot of garage shelves: better UV protection, and doesn't leave a greasy film. I bought a Royalex canoe a few years ago, and all of the manufacturers recommend using 303 Protectant, and not armorall. When I googled 303, some car forums popped up, and those guys say that armorall attacks vinyl dashes pretty aggressively, but that 303 is dandy. It's a bit more expensive than armorall, and tougher to find (it's all they carry at the local boat shop, however), but I love the stuff.
Frank,
I found an Ace Hardware that sells this stuff. When I asked for it the sales person got all excited and asked me what kind of expensive care I owned... His jaw dropped when I told him I own a truck. He said the only people that buy this stuff use it on "classic cars and High end expensive Vets & Mercedes". The look on his face was priceless when I told him it was for my truck bed cover and fly lines.
I will give it a try this weekend.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

It's up to you all, but my experience with ArmorAll on anything synthetic besides my dashboard get's ruined. ArmorAll will dry rot tires and strip clear coating off a lot of things if left on.

Just a thought.

I have a cloth line cleaner I keep in my pack when I'm on a stream. Just add water from stream and/or from my water bottle and it activates the line cleaner. I believe there's four in a pack and they're reusable.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

It appears that 303 is water soluable BUT its life can be stretched by a good buffing.
I researched it because I have some in the garage that I use on my pontoon. I never thought to use it on fly lines and most likely still won't simply because I found stuff that works without question.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from using it, just posting some info I dug up on it that might make it better for you.

Google
Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

Years ago I used to use Black Magic Tire Wet. It seemed to work well. It took off a lot of dirt and left a slick coating. I didn't like ArmorAll, but I can't remember why.

Randy