The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod harvest of browns

What do you all think of this. It is causing quite a stir in WV

Vigilantes take aim at W.Va. trout stream Woods and Waters

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rod harvest of browns

The South Fork of the Snake (Idaho) has 'bows in it, the IF&G wants everyone to remove and kill the 'bows when caught. It's a cuttthroat river and they want to bring it back to a cutthroat river. Browns, rainbow, if it's not native it's gone. Same with some rivers and lakes here in Utah. I doubt if W Va. will do any damage to the browns. Too damn smart. The Fish that is.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:02 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Although I have been a TU member for over 15 years, sometimes they make me cringe. There is a definite left wing bias in TU, and a strong Sierra Club/ Earth First/ Greenpeace element.

I wish it wasn't so.

Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

It would only be "vigilante" if they were doing something outside the law. They could just double the limit on browns, but they'll probably not get them all. milt.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:04 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
Although I have been a TU member for over 15 years, sometimes they make me cringe. There is a definite left wing bias in TU, and a strong Sierra Club/ Earth First/ Greenpeace element.

I wish it wasn't so.

Chris

At some point those lefties will consider us white folk an invasive species in the U.S. and ... etc, etc...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I wholeheartedly support the movement toward restoring native fisheries. We screwed everything up, first by our (lack of) conservation practices which led to habitat degradation and then by our introduction of non-native species. Now we're finally doing something about it.

I'm firmly in favor of the Broundup, though I recognize it probably won't have a huge impact. They simply won't be able to catch/keep enough of them. Now, if the state would get behind the movement to restore native fish, then they might be able to make a difference.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304rodco View Post
What do you all think of this. It is causing quite a stir in WV

Vigilantes take aim at W.Va. trout stream Woods and Waters
I just read the thread on WVangler.com. Is there a GOOD reason why? Maybe it will get rained out. Fishing pressure is sure to increase now. I understand why some people are tight lipped about certain fishing spots, they want them preserved and not poached to death.

Last edited by jcw355; 05-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I think it's a bad idea to take out the browns they live in warmer water than the brook and are a challenge to catch. I fished for most of the trout in the U.S. and the brook are the easiest fish to catch and never have i got one over 16" . Folks should be glad they have something to catch so what if it's browns that can be large. Leave them be and enjoy fishing for them.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 AM

tbiii will become famous soon enoughtbiii will become famous soon enough

Seems like a good idea to me, although I'm not sure how much it will shift the balance back towards native brookies.

While it's true TU is designed to protect all trout fisheries, they especially try to protect and restore native trout fisheries. Brookies have largely been replaced in their native range by non-native rainbows and browns, as well as stream habitat alterations. It's true browns can tolerate warmer water temps than brookies, but that's not really the issue. The problem is that in those streams where brookies are native and can persist, they're outcompeted by non-native browns. To me, there's plenty of good wild brown trout streams in the east- let the natives have those few streams where they can still flourish. And while it's true browns generally grow larger and are tougher to catch than native brookies, to me it has no bearing on these sort of fisheries decisions- I mean, we don't eliminate pike fisheries and replace them with muskellunge just because muskies are tougher to catch.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is an excellent set of points put forth by tbiii.

I have read the replies here and can safely say that decisions like this have nothing to do with "left wing bias", "lefties" or "white folk an invasive species".

Decisions like this are the result of habitat studies, research, historical data, and biological reality and have little or nothing to do with the political leanings of the scientists who do the actual work. I would suggest that when we respond to topics such as this one we refrain from using labels or remarks that refer to anyones politics, or race and speak to the subject matter.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;