The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Picked up a new toy.

Hey guys,
I just picked up a new Kayak. Does anyone fly fish from one? It will be mostly for the saltwater, any advise to shorten my learning curve would be helpfull.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Picked up a new toy.

Very cool. I'm looking to get a kayak for fishing in the next month or two, so I can't help with any tips other than don't fall in!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Very cool. I'm looking to get a kayak for fishing in the next month or two, so I can't help with any tips other than don't fall in!
LOL, I expect to fall out. As long as I don't lose my gear.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

#1. Get a comfortable life jacket that you can leave on while fishing.
#2. Practice getting back in the boat once you have flipped. Take the kayak out in chest deep water and practice until getting back on without your feet touching the bottom is no problem. The best way to do this in your kayak once you have fallen out is to straddle the boat from the back end with your arms hanging on to each side and inch your way forward until your butt is over the seat, You want your legs behind you while scooting forward to help provide stability.

At some point you will probably take the boat on a river that has some current and everyone will make the mistake ONCE of getting up against a swipe or a big rock in a swift current. When this happens instincts will want you to lean away from the swipe and that is the worst thing you can do, as you lean away you are dipping the upstream edge of the boat into the current thus allowing the current to pull the boat under and you with it. If you lean into the swipe you are lifting the upstream edge of the boat out of the current and allowing the current force to push the boat up instead of under. You may still loose the boat but at least you are on top of the swipe instead of under it and facing death.

Dave

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Also anything you have tied on the back you want to be able to get it off and out of the way quickly in case you fall off. In a river it is important to get back on quickly to avoid swipes.

Dave
Old 05-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
#1. Get a comfortable life jacket that you can leave on while fishing.
#2. Practice getting back in the boat once you have flipped. Take the kayak out in chest deep water and practice until getting back on without your feet touching the bottom is no problem. The best way to do this in your kayak once you have fallen out is to straddle the boat from the back end with your arms hanging on to each side and inch your way forward until your butt is over the seat, You want your legs behind you while scooting forward to help provide stability.

At some point you will probably take the boat on a river that has some current and everyone will make the mistake ONCE of getting up against a swipe or a big rock in a swift current. When this happens instincts will want you to lean away from the swipe and that is the worst thing you can do, as you lean away you are dipping the upstream edge of the boat into the current thus allowing the current to pull the boat under and you with it. If you lean into the swipe you are lifting the upstream edge of the boat out of the current and allowing the current force to push the boat up instead of under. You may still loose the boat but at least you are on top of the swipe instead of under it and facing death.

Dave

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Also anything you have tied on the back you want to be able to get it off and out of the way quickly in case you fall off. In a river it is important to get back on quickly to avoid swipes.

Dave
Thanks Dave,

A friend showed me how to get back on with a sling that you run through one of the scuppers. I won't be able to touch bottom in most of the saltwater I'll be fishing so the sling gives you something to push off of to get back on. Made the sling, hopefully I won't need it much.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:10 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

what dave said and dont fish for anything to big starting out, start off using your light tackle and stay relatively close to your car untill you get the feel for it and your arms build up a bit of muscle for paddling. ive fished the 3rd sandbar before and been dragged 2-3 miles out by a shark. my arms were KILLING me by the time i got back to the car. holding onto a shark that was 7ft+ for close to an hour then paddling back in to the beach took a hard toll on me. just remember however far out you go, you gotta go back in that far. if your fishing around dusk you dont have a light and cant be seen that easy. but yaking is one of the best and funnest ways to fish. enjoy!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this :
Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Swirlchaser, if you haven't kayaked before, be ready for an extreme upper body workout. I've never fished from a kayak, but having paddled one a few times, Yak noobs should respect the advise of others above

Interesting video Frank, thanks for posting it.

A couple of "family safe" comments:
  • I think she's fly-fished before, a time or 2 maybe
  • She has an amazing sense of balance
  • That is one of the best examples of Double-Haul I've ever seen. Dayum she's shooting a mess of line!!!!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:21 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

She was fishing in that video??
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-30-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I took a paddle around the harbor this Sunday. Left the flyrod home since it was my first trip. A few close calls but all in all it was a good morning, plenty of bait and few small Bluefish kept me busy all morning.
Blues were smaller than the Bunker I caught for bait!

Should have fixed that bilge pump...