The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 06:39 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default why are people so (explicit) stupid?

So, I took the boys fishing yesterday during the day. There were a few people dunking worms, and a few spin casters.

Fast forward to later in the day-- I go out by myself. No one on the water, but all of their trash shows that they were there.....

I know I am preaching to the choir-- but why do people leave worm containers and sunflower seed packages and McDonalds wrappers and whatnot on stream and river banks and lake shores?

Secondly, short of picking it up, is there any recourse?

I know exactly what this group of people looks like-- and I saw exactly what they had in the way of throw away materials-- I know that they are the one's who left the stuff behind..... I don't want to waste a DNR reps time by having him/ her wait around and watch them leave the trash-- what to do?

As a former cage fighter, I'd like to take matters into my own hands-- but obviously wouldn't.....
Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: why are people so (explicit) stupid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
So, I took the boys fishing yesterday during the day. There were a few people dunking worms, and a few spin casters.

Fast forward to later in the day-- I go out by myself. No one on the water, but all of their trash shows that they were there.....

I know I am preaching to the choir-- but why do people leave worm containers and sunflower seed packages and McDonalds wrappers and whatnot on stream and river banks and lake shores?

Secondly, short of picking it up, is there any recourse?

I know exactly what this group of people looks like-- and I saw exactly what they had in the way of throw away materials-- I know that they are the one's who left the stuff behind..... I don't want to waste a DNR reps time by having him/ her wait around and watch them leave the trash-- what to do?

As a former cage fighter, I'd like to take matters into my own hands-- but obviously wouldn't.....
I have to say it's their upbringing. And the B.S. political correctness that abounds all around us.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Because so many people have no respect in this country anymore for others' properties, the planet, and in many cases, their own stuff. Most are lazy *******s that the planet could well do without as far as I am concerned.

And I'm afraid the only way they would ever cease doing it is if they got their sorry asses thrashed immediately every time they did it by anyone who saw them. There is no way government will ever do anything about it.

The sad thing is that I see looks of shock when I reach into my pocket for change and pull out 5 or six cigarette butt filters out with the change. Not shock that I smoke, but shock that I don't just throw them on the ground or into the Gulfstream like everyone else does.

Sorry for the rant, but you hit a sore spot with me.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

People should be more respectful of the outdoors, I can only imagine what their houses look like. I took my girlfriends son out fishing at a local State Park and there was so much trash in the water it was unbelievable, It really isn't that hard to carry out your trash.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I truly feel your pain. Fortunately where I live this is a FEW and far between, but you can see 'it' building. Always have a real camera (diggie) in the car, or on me. Hit some place that's this may not be good will always take tons of pictures. (DON'T use your cell phone for photos, too damned obvious.)

People, the mess, cars, license plates etc. Just be 'discrete' as you're doing same. Makes for a hell of a pile of 'back up' material if I file a Police report.

Better yet, the Oregon State Police deal with most of the 'Ah Hell' type of reports .. and when you hand them a shief of photos ... it make what may/may not for them a bit easier.

Just maybe?

fae
Old 05-29-2011, 07:54 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I have to say it's their upbringing. And the B.S. political correctness that abounds all around us.

Not trying to contest you, but what does b.s. political correctness have to do with this? This angle hadn't occurred to me...???
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's my slant. Because many have no buy-in to our ediquette, rules, regulations, laws,nor just preserving our country. They seem comitted to making our country look third world. You should see what they are doing to the Sierras. We just had a law enforcement presentation at our FF Club of all of the trash and poaching being done by the illegal farming on your land. The pendelum will eventually swing, but for this society to make it happen the politically correct bs will have to be shelved. Just one mans opinion, but I think I'm right. I have tolerence for "what's right is right". Not for destroying what we built.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your concern, but things are much better than they were when I was young. It was common to see the shoulders of highways absolutely packed with garbage, largely fast food trash that was routinely thrown from car windows. It took a monumental public relations campaign to end that practice, and people to adopt highways. Southeast Pennsylvania looked like a landfill during the late throughout the 1970's. I worked in at a fast food chain one summer while in college, and they didn't put trash cans in the parking lot. They said that not having trash cans would discourage people from sitting in the parking lot to eat their food....WHAT??? They ate in the parking lot anyway, and dumped their trash out the window...DUH!

Dumping tires, car batteries, household appliances, and everything else that is taken care of so nicely today was also quite common. The local lake was often the place of choice for all of these items, and it was horrible. The side of the road was once again used as a dump for this trash as well. The parks in New Jersey had a policy of not having trash cans when we lived there during the 1990's. Instead, they had signs that read take your trash with you. That worked in some cases, but not much better than the parking lot at the fast food joint.

I was at the local lake this past week, and saw a few foil gigar wrappers and snelled hook packages in one spot. The rest of it was remarkably clean. The local state park has had a few worm containers left along the bank, but very few. While it's not pleasant to see, it's a far cry from the zillion corn cans I had to look at during the 70's and 80's. It's not a perfect world yet, but it's much better than sitting in stinking traffic during the pre-emission control days, and I haven't seen a family station wagon with everyone tossing their McDonald's trash out the windows in a LONG time. "You forgot your trash" might work if you see someone littering, and if it doesn't, they might begin to think about littering. Erecting a cage to smack around a litterer around will result in you being sent to the gray bar hotel, so that's not a good plan. I heard prison fishing stinks.

P.S. People didn't pick up their dog's mess until recently, and stepping in dog **** was very common. My neighbor (1978-1980's) was an engineer for Mobil, and he regularly poured his used car oil down the storm drain when I was a teenager. The drain was less than 1 mile from a great stretch of the Delaware River, and he just laughed when I expressed outrage. He somehow changed his thinking on that issue during the very late 1980's, and recycled all of his fluids. Things have improved
wildly, but there are people that need to be educated and reminded.....
Old 05-29-2011, 09:04 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Interesting thread.

I happen to be a team leader in what may well be the biggest community highway cleanup in the U.S. This year, on the first Saturday in early May, several thousand volunteers cleaned up 40 miles of Interstate 70 and 40 miles of U.S. 6 which parallels the interstate, through the Vail valley.

One of my team members and I filled 11 55-gallon bags with trash along one mile of road, and we did this same stretch last year.

I ride my bike along this part of the road every other day in summer. Once it gets clean, it stays clean for a long time, but once trash becomes visible, everyone seems to say, "What the hell" and out come the beer cans and bottles.

Wish I had a solution.

Chris
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Not trying to contest you, but what does b.s. political correctness have to do with this? This angle hadn't occurred to me...???
For an example- In schools, no dress code, no "Board of Education", no diciplining by school officials. They're all afraid of offending someone. There is no respect for anything being taught.
I'm sure others feel the same and can add to it.