The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Meat/fish smokers; what works for you?

As odd as this may sound what caught my attention was a 'smoked Mac & Cheese' (other goodies in it too) and said Dear God that sounds GOOD!

Been 20+++, ah hell closer to 40, since I've had a 'Little Chief' smoker and did my thing.

Time moves on, as does equipment. Want to buy another, but what's worked for you in the $200 and down range? At best I'll be doing (maybe) 10# of what-ever so "huge" is not an issue .. save for driving the neighbors taste buds nuts.

Thoughts as to 'what,' and what else do I need with the initial purchase?

fae
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Meat/fish smokers; what works for you?

i grew up in texas and smoking meat is my thing! i use my little 40 dollar smoker almost every day. but the best i have ever had is from here, the big green egg they can get expensive but you can sometimes find a deal on them, my mouth is just watering thinking about the meat from that thing. they arnt industrial size where you can smoke 20 brisket and 10 turkeys all at once but they will hold enough for a family to eat one meal.

EDIT also if you buy a non electric one be sure to not buy normal coal!! but hardwood coal, natural stuff. not kingsford or any of that name brand youd use in a charcoal girl. then you get your wood chips soak them in water for a bit and throw them in giving the smoke the flavor you want. id start off buying some hickory, mesquite, and fruit wood. then you got yourself set for all kinds of meat
Old 05-29-2011, 08:36 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

I grew up in south Louisiana where a smoke house was 20x20 or something similar. I use the little electric kettle smokers from Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart and they work fine. I will put in a brisket before I go to bed and its ready the next morning. This kind is not the best in cold weather as you may have to finish cooking something in the oven, but it will produce a smoke ring. Much better quality on the market, but hey for $50 I toss it out when it becomes an eye sore and get a new one. The big green egg is awesome but around $800 I think, not sure.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac. View Post

EDIT also if you buy a non electric one be sure to not buy normal coal!! but hardwood coal, natural stuff. not kingsford or any of that name brand youd use in a charcoal girl. then you get your wood chips soak them in water for a bit and throw them in giving the smoke the flavor you want. id start off buying some hickory, mesquite, and fruit wood. then you got yourself set for all kinds of meat
Mac, darned interesting comment above in your 'edit.' That's the first reference to using "hardwood coal" I ever read. Do you have a brand name that I can Google? Regular charcoal (Kingsford, etc) is easy to find, but don't ever recall seeing that type of product.

Fred
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Mac, darned interesting comment above in your 'edit.' That's the first reference to using "hardwood coal" I ever read. Do you have a brand name that I can Google? Regular charcoal (Kingsford, etc) is easy to find, but don't ever recall seeing that type of product.

Fred
the reason for this is processed coal briquettes have chemicals in them. that chemical can put a different taste in the meat than you want. when you get natural hardwood or lump coal its just wood, no processing to it. you can find this coal at any grocery store, walmart, home depot, sams, cosco, anywhere. just look at the bags for any of the words "natural, lump, hardwood" this is the stuff that usually has no chemicals in it. i use cowboy
just because thats what home depot sells and they are the closest to me. i know at sams you can buy some pretty big bags super cheap, back in texas thats where we would always get it from, and if sams sells some big bags cheap im sure walmart will too.

brian
Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 PM

Thumbs up Re: Meat/fish smokers; what works for you?

Thanks Brian, now I know what to look for.

Fred
Old 05-30-2011, 05:59 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

One of mine is a Weber Smokey Mountain. Kind of shaped like the Big Green Egg. Looks like a black R2D2
Click to View Search Results for weber smokey mountain cooker - Google Search weber smokey mountain cooker - Google Search
Easy to use and precise temp adjustments. Using the Minion Method, I can do an overnighter and not worry about it going out. Instead of using water in the pan, I use sand. Keeps it at a more even temperature and it doesnt evaporate.
Fred, the lump charcoal here at Lowe's is Cowboy Charcoal
Here's a list of others.
The Lump Charcoal Database Reviews -- Naked Whiz Charcoal Ceramic Cooking
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Why do I know this is going to cost me more money that buggied into "Plan A?"

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

anyone see/used one of these:

Cajun Injector Electric Smoker with Digital Controller - Sportsman's Warehouse
Old 05-30-2011, 08:08 PM

fred you dont have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a good smoker, infact you can make them yourself pretty easy out of a trash can or some clay pots. you can find tons of great smokers for under 150 bucks.

this is the one i use and its under 50 bucks, was easy to assemble and as 2 racks if i need to cook tons. only downside is theres no true vent to help adjust temp and the thermometer just says "warm ideal hot" but was an easy fix with an over thermometer
Brinkmann Smoke N' Grill Charcoal Smoker and Grill - 810-5302-S at The Home Depot
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: Meat/fish smokers; what works for you?

Woozer Mac! There are several of their model lines that have my 'focused attention.' Back to their web site.
fea