The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default how long does it take a hook to rust out?

i always feel bad when the line breaks and the fish has a fly in its mouth, another fly dangling waiting to snag something and weight dangling off that. i feel as if i may of killed that fish i didnt catch. if that other fly gets snagged on something the fish is then stuck there for a while. i always hope i catch that fish again but never do, i have caught many fish with other hooks in their mouth though. i gladly take it out, maybe steal the fly if its in good shape and let the fish go. so how long does it take the hook to rust out in freshwater?
Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: how long does it take a hook to rust out?

Forever.

I have NEVER caught a fish with another hook in its mouth in 60 years of fishing. I HAVE caught a lot of fish with hooks holes in their upper and lower jaw.

I'm absolutely convinced that the hole opens up and the hook works its way out, sooner or later with no detriment to the fish.

Hide a hook in a little pocket of rocks. Five years later it will still be there, almost fishable.

Chris
Old 05-29-2011, 11:13 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnskiguy View Post
Forever.

Hide a hook in a little pocket of rocks. Five years later it will still be there, almost fishable.

Chris
im gonna try this. ill hide a hook in the water under a rock, and tie it to something once the flow settles down a bit and see if it rusts at all over the summer
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

An very interesting question as we all have at some time had some old rusty hooks around,however most could be still used unless they were near Salt Water for any length of time.
I hadn't thought of it before even though I worked,many years ago where metals were tested,It would be very interesting to test the steel of various Brands of Hooks for their chemical composition of carbon,chromium,nickel etc,perhaps the makers could have a spec sheet,if it's available????
Many of the other members probably have caught fish with hooks,or parts of hooks inside them,incidentally fish have a body acid like ourselves which dissolves hooks.
Brian.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hooks In or Hooks Out?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hooks Both in & out,as we have all caught fish which have swallowed the fly,however with Bead Fishing the fish are usually liphooked,with the hook inside or outside the mouth.
Also some fish have holes as they have been released numerous times.

Many years ago I was reading in The English Trout Fisherman Magazine where a guy when he caught a fish on a section of a river would attach a tag with a number,note the date & its location.
In the end,after a certain ammount of time he could tell the Numbers on the Fish he was likely to catch at a certain location,also note every time he caught the same fish.
He caught many of the fish numerous times,I cannot remember how many,very time consuming I thought.

Brian.