The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Sidebar Ads...

Frank, Why did they replace the new posts on the side bar with Ads? It was nice to see all the new posts, without having to open another screen...

Dan
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Sidebar Ads...

Hi Dan,

That was a change with out my input. I also found them useful and will miss them.

Here is the problem. Fish&Fly has spent a bunch of money buying and improving NAFFF. They are a Corporation who loves fly fishing but also must make money and that means advertising. Advertisers pay the bills and with out them this site, or Fish&Fly for that matter, would not exist. So while it may not be as convenient, it may be a necessity if NAFFF is going to continue as a free forum.

Now we might be able to figure out another place to put the ads but they have to be located where they are visible to members. We could shrink the forum and place the ads on the other side with forums in the middle and latest post on the other side. That is how we had it on the old format.

Got any ideas? Fish&Fly wants all of its sites to have a similar formate so all sites feel familiar as members go from site to site. Any suggestions from any member is welcomed.

Frank
Old 06-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Frank,

While Fish & Fly was making changes, did they also make any changes in how the forum keeps track of, and manages, each users cookies? I have not made any changes to my PC or software, but find the forum functioning differently.

In the past, whenever you clicked on the backward arrow, the forum moved back one "thread page" or back one level in the forum heirarchy - e.g. back to the previous forum, or to the forum index. Now it seems that when I have viewed several threads in a single forum heading, I have to click "backwards" multiple times to get back to the forum index.

I have not seen any diffferences in how my PC is handling cookies and tracking on any other forum or when navigating through general websites. Perhaps Fish & Fly made some unintended changes when they were changing from the "New Posts" to the sidebar advertising? Sometimes these are referred to as "un-documented features", but in this case, I think the cookie tracking is not working as intended.

If no one else is seeing these changes in cookie management, then please advise - there is always the potential that this is an operator error!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

i have noticed that also and just assumed that it was my computer.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:31 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Frank,

I also miss the old format. If you could convince F&F to place a link to "New Posts" on the Forums pags, then that would do the same thing as the old new posts section on the old Forums page. Because, everyone wants to find out what's new(?) And that's usually contained in the "New Posts' section.

Just a thought.

Best,

Pocono
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I would like to be able to see new posts, too. It was handy the old way. As was suggested, maybe a "New posts" link.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Brewmaster,

There has been no changes to the software for sometime other than removing the new threads on the Forum Home Page. I use three different Browsers and they all work the same way they have in the past. It is normal to me that for ever step forward I go I have to go back each step.

There are a couple of things you can do if you are using the latest Browsers from Microsoft, Mozilla or Opera. You can option your browser so each page is opened in a new window. Then you can go back by selection the window you want to be in. I think you can also option your browser so each forward step is opened in a new Tab.

Some sites are set up so if you open a page and then select a link on that page and then open a link of the next page the back button takes you back to the first page. Maybe that is what you are thinking about. My personal preference is that the back button takes me back page by page so I can get back to any specific page if I want to.

One other thought. If you have automatic upgrades turned on you will get any new software changes to your Browser in the background. Most people should get automatic upgrades so new security patches can be uploaded as soon as possible. If you don't have automatic upgrades turned on you have to go to the appropriate web site and down load any upgrades. Unless you are very diligent I would turn on automatic upgrades, or what ever your system calls it. Those with Apple Browsers are a different case and there is no telling how they might work.

Pocono and Flyfisher,

You are calling the missing information new post but I think the list that is not shown anymore were new threads, not new post. There are two links to a list of New Post. One at the top of the page in the menu bar and one at the bottom of a thread page. The bottom New Post link can be used when you have finished reading a thread or have posted to a thread and you want to go back to the List of New Post. The bottom link saves you from scanning back to the top of the page.

Frank
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Brewmaster,
I have been having the same problem. Especially when I am done viewing one forum such as general discussion. I used to hit the back button and it took me to the main forum page and I would then go on to cold water etc working my way through the forums. Now when I get back to the main general discussion page (as an example) it just hangs there. sometimes multiple clicks of the back button get me to the main forum page but more times than not I end up going to the forums tab at the top to get to the main forum page. Makes it a real pain, I'm old and don't like to learn new ways to do things :-)

Rich