The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 07:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: polarchromic sunglasses

Ard

I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express this week so yes, I am qualified. Color blindness is usually passed from mother to son with the mother typically only being a carrier and a large percentage of men have some varying degree of color blindness.

Mine happens to be pretty severe but, I have learned that certain colors of sunglasses can enhance my color perception. I suspect that the Fish Finder glasses have just the right color configuration that helps offset a slight color blindness.

Do not try this without first consulting with your doctor. Symptoms may include dizziness, loss of depth perception, receding hairline, athletes foot, poor posture, bloating, and a willingness to help out around the house.

If you experience any of these symptoms see a doctor immediately.

Dave
Old 06-04-2011, 11:46 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough

I will always recommend Rudy Project sunglasses. The make a "sailing kit" that has stainless steel (rust proof) hinges, side shields (removable) to block glare, polarized, photochromic, and come with a floating strap if you ever lose them in the water. The best part though is that they will replace the lenses free, no questions asked, for life. Scratch, 'em, no problem. Dog chews 'em, no problem.

I don't work for them, just love their glasses.

Rory
Old 06-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kfisher99,

I was speaking mostly about my needs based on poor vision. My eyes are checked every year by a MD and they have all recommended dark gray lens. I tried polarchromic many years ago and they could be much improved over what I tried. They definitely didn't work for me when fishing.

Sunglasses are a very personal item and one person's experience could be entirely different with the same glasses with a different person. Almost all polarized lenses being used by the various sun glass companies are made by two, or at most three, different manufactures. Buying Smith or Costa's or what ever will all have the same basic lens design. They change the surface coatings to claim a special lens but most are pretty much the same lens design.

Frank
Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
As for worries about the 'cheap' lens failing to block UV radiation and my eyes being fried, I would think that I would have noticed something by now.
Me too. I have never worn sunglasses except when fishing, and then only polarized ones. There are only two things I can think of that physicaly hurt my eyes.

One is computer screens which, unlike sunlight whose frequency is measured in picoseconds {one trillionth of a second (one millionth of one millionth of a second) }, computer screens blink 60 times in one second.

Not only that, but they are not analog and have little squares of different frequencies instead of merging shades. Since we crawled out of the slime billions of years ago, we've evolved to deal with natural sunlight - not blinking squares that change color randomly between blinks.

The other thing that really hurts my eyes is driving at night on US1 -a two lane road - with the bright headlights boring a hole into my brain through my left eye in particular. This causes me intense pain behind that eye and causes it to water non-stop if I do not wear sunglasses. I use red polarized glasses when driving at night and it makes all the difference.

I assume I don't have cataracts, since I can see birds sooner than anyone else I fish with and can still read paperbacks with the light from a lamp, though it's much easier in daylight.

But then I have never worn sunscreen because I can't stand the feelling of being covered in grease or wear seat belts either.

Cheers,
Jim