The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default polarchromic sunglasses

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Smith polarchromic glasses with copper mirror lenses as an all-around pair of sunglasses, supposedly the lenses adjust to the weather conditions. Anyone own a pair of these, very curious to how you like them. There must be something special about them for $200...
Old 06-01-2011, 11:54 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: polarchromic sunglasses

i have not used these but smith is pretty much all i wear for snow goggles and sunglasses. they make some of the best lens there is, along with oakley. but i can usually get deals on smith and that is why i choose them.

one of the reasons those glasses are expensive is the lens is real glass. to get this you usually pay 150+. the changing lens i assume would be fine, but ive heard from many people the prescription glasses that change to tint outside stop changing in about a year. so you may wanna just get the color you want and stick with that.

also one brand to check out, they will make the most durable and best lens is kaenen i loved my pair till they sank to the bottom of the ocean. once i get extra cash flow i will be sure to buy another for fishing.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

As an eye glass wearer that has the changing lenses I can tell you they do not stop changing in and out of the sunlight. I have two pair one about 4years old that I keep as a back up in case something happens to my everyday glasses. My eye doctor told me that with the increasing UV not to skimp on sunglasses . Make sure they block UVA and UVB. She said that due to the increase in UV cataracts are a major problem. Costa del Mar and Maui Jim are two major brands that she recommended. The nice thing about the lens changing is when the sun goes down you can still leave them on and protect your eyes.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:26 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

The Smiths are very nice, one of these days I will spring for a pair of them. Bass Pro has and XPS line of glasses that have a similar lens on themm which adjusts the tint according to the UV radiation thats hitting them. I gave them a shot for 40 bucks I figurecd they cant be that bad. i really like them. They arent as comfy or as well built as the Smiths, but they see almost as well. They are clear and the tint you dont really notice it changing, but the strain on my eyes is very minimal. They definitly feel very relaxed after a day of wearing them.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i just got a pair of polarchromic backdrops from Smith about a week ago and they are comfortable all day, not bright not to dark. the change in darkness is subtle to the lense, so much so that i cant really tell if it changed at all. i do notice that the brightness seems to be the same from sun up to sun down so they must be changing.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kfisher99,

I think Polarchromic is nice for everyday use but not my choice for fishing. They offer a trade off of convenience for effectiveness. You might get by with them for other than saltwater or in a northern state. The just don't block enough light for saltwater use or in Florida and other southern coastal regions. Since I am vision impaired it may be more of a problem for me but in severe lighting conditions I don't think Polarchromic is the best way to go. At least not for me.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 06-02-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

I own a pair of smith with the copper glass lens. They are nice. the copper lens really makes other colors brighter. I think it filters out some of the blues. the glass lens is harder to scratch. i enjoy wearing them fishing and driving. They bring out the colors so much that i have tried driving at night with them. When you wear them and look around the world just looks cool. I paid $240 for them.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

There was a discussion about this recently, try doing a search to see what some of those people said.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I realize that you guys may laugh at what I am posting but I don't say anything unless I believe it to be true, especially about fishing. What you see perched on my hat in the picture below are the glasses I swear by. They were / are known as 'Fish Finders' and I suspect the older stock may be better than the new. I bought the pair in the picture at Tony's Salmon Shop in Pulaski NY. in 1994. These are the 10 dollar polarized glasses that come with the tag that until you look through the glasses has hidden fish on it. Sounds hokey I know but over the years I have been able to test them against the Orvis Marquis polarized, the Smith polarized, and I own 2 pair of Oakley glasses. The Fish Finders win hands down for locating trout and salmon in the water.

It has been my experience that while many 'cheap' items are exactly that, every now and then there is a gem to be had without paying an arm and leg. I keep them in a soft case and have managed to protect them from scratches and loss for 17 years now and yes, I have a second pair for backup should they ever be damaged. I like my Oakley's and you can find me driving my car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and snowmachine with a pair on my face & eyes. However when I am in that boat or wading a river the Fish Finders are always on my face. You would have to think that there must be some reason behind this.

As for worries about the 'cheap' lens failing to block UV radiation and my eyes being fried, I would think that I would have noticed something by now. As for where to find them?? You will have to just keep an eye out for them in tackle shops. In my opinion these were the norm for fishing before all of the people in marketing convinced the fly fishing public that every piece of gear has to cost hundreds of dollars or you will have less than successful results. I am often amazed at how willingly we as consumers are willing to accept the rational of 'more means better' this can be true but it should not be the chief decision making factor when you shop. Think or do as you chose but those cheap glasses will find my fish again this year, I have no doubt. I hope you can find a pair of these gathering dust in a shop somewhere and get them to try.

Ard

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-02-2011, 06:30 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi kfisher99,

I think Polarchromic is nice for everyday use but not my choice for fishing. They offer a trade off of convenience for effectiveness. You might get by with them for other than saltwater or in a northern state. The just don't block enough light for saltwater use or in Florida and other southern coastal regions. Since I am vision impaired it may be more of a problem for me but in severe lighting conditions I don't think Polarchromic is the best way to go. At least not for me.

Frank
The polarchromic lenses go down to 13% light transmission(which is pretty low), how much do you think is necessary for saltwater? Which is what I live next to.