The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: fly tying kit

i cant really afford a 200 dollar vice right now =( but what about something like these?

Anvil Apex fly tying vise - $94.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Terra True Rotary Vise (T8191) | eBay
Renzetti Apprentice Fly Tying Vise New | eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fly-Tying-Tools-...item2a111ffadb
http://www.fishwest.net/Merchant2/me..._Code=flyshop&
http://www.iflyshop.com/Thompson-Mod...ses_p_444.html

i was just lookin for <$100 and true rotary
Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM

hookworm is on a distinguished road

Anvil makes good vices. I bought a kit from Madison River Fishing Co.
Search Result Page - Product Catalog
The tools that come with the Pro Tyers kit are very good and you probably won't need to upgrade for awhile. I ended up getting the Anvil Atlas but look up some reviews on the Apex, nothing but good things.
I was given more materials then I could ever possibly use so if anyone is interested send me a pm and what your looking for as far as hair (elk, moose, deer, goat) and how much and we can figure out a price.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

check this site
Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

if you could go just $43 more i think you would like the Peak vice. When i got my rotary vice it was a toss up between the Renzetti, Dyna-King and this Peak vice.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've been tying for years on Cabela's bottom end ($10-$20) vises. I only up graded by accident when I got the "better" one because the price was mis- marked.
I didn't know I was tying on a crappy vise til' I read a comparison via a link in a previous thread.
I'm not sure I could get used to all the ajustments etc on the fancier ones and I don't have a hundred bucks to put into a vise.
I did just put the jaws from one of the older, cheaper vises into the newer vice since I've worn out all the old spare jaws that came with it.
It holds hooks again. What more do I want?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 06-06-2011, 07:16 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

See JoJer, you learned something today. i guess you teach an old dog new tricks.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by araitim View Post
check this site
Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

if you could go just $43 more i think you would like the Peak vice. When i got my rotary vice it was a toss up between the Renzetti, Dyna-King and this Peak vice.
hey thanks for that link! looking at the reviews it may be worth it to get the danica danvise. its 80 bucks and they rated it 4.13, that peak was only a 4.30 or something, to me thats not much of a difference of rating for the price difference.
i think ill keep shoping for that danvise apex, and the peak. see which one i can get the best deal on
Old 08-27-2011, 09:28 PM

mvalbano is on a distinguished road

When I started I had a bunch a flies I wanted to tie and just got the material to time them. I would suggest that and obvioulsly a good vise and all the necessary tools. Over time you will get all the material you need.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'd buy the best items that I could afford even if I had to space the purchases out over 6 months or so.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:35 AM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I purchased a Griffin Odyssey Spider for $89. I love it but I also know that others don't. I can comfortably tie down to a size 22 (because that is as far as I've gone, so far ). It is true rotary although I have never used it as such. I find that I only want to turn the fly to get better access than to use it as a rotary. It does have it's foibles, but I like it none the less. The fly fishing chapter I belong too has members with many different vices. There are quite a few with the spider and also quite a few with the Danvise (about the same price). If you have an opportunity try one out and remember that everyone has opinions so go with something you feel comfortable with and not with what others say.