The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road
Default fly tying kit

What do you guys think of the fly tying kits at Bass Pro? Is it a pretty complete setup? I bought a few new bass flies in there last night and I realized at $2 to $3 a peice, it wouldn't take long to pay for the kit.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: fly tying kit

Most kits contain a bunch of materials you'll never use. Buy yourself a decent vise, scissors, bobbin, and a good basic book or video on fly tying; then buy the materials you'll need for a specific fly. Master that pattern then move on to the next pattern you want to learn.

Dan
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I bought the $30 tools kit from Bass Pro Shops. Its good for starting out, but the bobbin is terrible. Its nice that the whole kit is very portable and very cheap.

I'd second Dan's recommendation. Just get a cheap vice, a good bobbin, and a really nice pair of scissors.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM

rocknrone is on a distinguished road

A long time ago (20 years) I bought a kit from Bass Pro when I got into fly fishing. I was young and it was all I could afford. They are great to learn on, but most of the materials are junk. I think companies take what is too lousy to sell and package it up as a beginner kit. The vise is weak and the scissors are dull. Within two years I had replaced everything but the hairstacker. My opinion, skip the kit and buy everything seperate.

You need a good vice, and a good pair of scissors. You can go cheaper on the other tools for now. Aside from capes, most all material is affordable.

Check craigslist first. Theres a guy in my town selling his entire tying setup for $100.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

I "third" Dan's post. It's easier to just press "Buy Now" on a kit, but the components are usually junk. Better to go on ebay or the like and look for a used vice(in my opinion, the most important tool to spend good money on), buy a bobbin, some scissors and any other essential tools that you would need for the type of flies you want to tie, and then buy the materials for the one fly you love or want to have alot of. Tie 20 of them and then move onto your second favorite pattern, buy the materials, tie 20 of them, etc etc. That's the way I've learned. I started tying an easy fly: the egg. Then I moved to sucker spawn. Then I moved to a killer fly that I use alot: the lil' bugger. Then I started using deer hair. Then I started tying dries. I think I'm pretty decent now and there aren't too many flies I would be scared to attempt. To let you know, it took me about 3 months to become a pretty decent fly tyer. Oh, and YOUTUBE IS YOUR FRIEND!!! Go on there and type "tying ________" and you'll probably find a few videos of guys doing step by step for each pattern. It's like taking a never ending fly tying class from the comforts of your own home. I hope my rambling helped a little.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:15 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

go to your local fly shop and ask them what they recommend. i got a Cabalas kit for Christmas and after 2 months i bought a new vice (dyna-king), new bobbin (rite-bobin) and scissors. you wont be happy with the kit.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

so the op made me realize how much ive spent on flies and that i might as well start tying now that i understand a little bit more about what im using.
i see vices go from 20 bucks to 700. if i buy new what should i spend? if i buy used what brands to look for? or how do i avoid buying something thats cheap quality?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

I'm glad I haven't opened up the kit yet. After I bought those flies I ended up buying the kit at the same time since it was on sell for $50.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

If you're returning the kit Bass Pro does have an inexpensive vise that works well.
White River Fly Shop Crown Spring Tension Vise

I've been using one for 3 years and it's the only piece of equipment I haven't seen a need to improve on yet.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac. View Post
so the op made me realize how much ive spent on flies and that i might as well start tying now that i understand a little bit more about what im using.
i see vices go from 20 bucks to 700. if i buy new what should i spend? if i buy used what brands to look for? or how do i avoid buying something thats cheap quality?
In my opinion, the "sweet spot" for a vice, price wise, is $175-$250. No need to spend more that to get a vice that will last a lifetime.

I strongly recommend a "true rotary" vice. I had a nice HMH non true rotary that I bought forty years ago before the true rotaries came out. A few years ago I went to a Renzetti Traveler, and I like it a lot.

Good brands of true rotary vices are Peak, Renzetti, and Dyna-King.

Chris