The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:01 AM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough
Default Any ideas for an anchor system for my new 'toon?

So I just bought a frameless pontoon boat by Sea Eagle:

Inflatable Boats and inflatable kayaks from SeaEagle.com

(If it's frowned upon to add website addresses on this forum, please let me know and I will edit it out. Thx)

So, as you can see, it doesn't have a frame or metal anything to tie an anchor off on. I purchased a few glueable D rings that I was thinking about running a line through, but what do I tie it off on. I'm not the handiest of people, so welding and such would not be real possible for me. I need an anchor for the lake I'll be fishing and I'm somewhat concerned about the schaffing/pulling that an anchor cord would have on the D rings/pontoon material.

So is tying a cord off on a d ring my best and easiest option, or do the resourceful members of this forum have any ideas. Thank you very much in advance.

-Don
Old 06-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Any ideas for an anchor system for my new 'toon?

Hi Don,

No problem with the link, as for anchoring on a lake............... I have always had problems with this concept due to wind and currents. It seems that no matter what lengths I go to in anchoring any boat I end up facing the opposite direction that I want to be casting to. I think this is why the remote electric motors on bass boats are so popular. For small personal craft many people use swim fins to maintain a position.

I took a look at the boat link and my only suggestion would be for you to visit a raft and kayak shop and get yourself a pair of cordura nylon straps long enough to go around one of the bladder hulls. Then tie an anchor line to the strap and tighten it around the tube. For an anchor........the shops that sell rafts, canoes, and such will have some light weight anchors to choose from. When I want to sit on a lake with my 13' frame raft I use two anchors, one fore and one aft.

Hope someone can give you a more clear answer than that,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Any ideas for an anchor system for my new 'toon?

Hi Don,

You didn't tell us how your boat is equipped. If you don't have a trolling motor you can make a mount out of PVC and use the four mounting positions to hold a bracket. Attach the anchorage line to the bracket.

I would use the storage bag in the front of the boat to hold your anchor rope and anchor when it is not in use. Like Ard suggested wrap a strap all around the tube on both sides just behind the storage bag. Adjust the straps so a D ring is low and the pontoon. Then make a Y harness coming from both D rings and then to the rope for the anchor. You will have to figure out how to adjust the length of anchorage rope you have out.

If you don't have the floor make your own from plywood or aluminum and fasten the anchor to the front of the floor. This might give you the best way to adjust the anchor rope you have out.

Frank