The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 01:55 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road
Default Powerbaiters.. grr...

So I was fishing the Cayney Fork yesterday, and there were three guys fishing one of my fav spots.. (it's a lot of peoples fav spot) they were catching some from what we could tell. Not fly fisherman they were power baiting with spin rods. Well they finally leave (got their fish i guess) and I head down there to try my luck. I find 4 rainbow dead on the bottom of the river. About hand size. All of them had their gills ripped out. I'm guessing 3-prong huge barbed hooks.. It makes me mad. Those fish shouldn't have to suffer like that.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:13 PM

BruceN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Powerbaiters.. grr...

You're right - GRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:46 AM

jayfish will become famous soon enoughjayfish will become famous soon enough

Here's my GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!I spent Saturday on the North Fork of the Shoshone and caught twenty fish, the biggest was fourteen inches! Tried some new techniques, reviewed some basics, and just had a great day!!! So what's so disappointing about that you ask? I'm getting to that! Sunday I got up and noticed that the fish were jumping out of the water in a deep pool some of the locals call the swimming hole!!! I was stoked!! I spent the next two and a half hours throwing every fly, nymph, streamer in that pool and I caught nothing!!! No, this is not the dissapointing thing, because that is Fishing!! A guy camped next to us came down and threw in a hook of nightcrawls and BAM!!! a 24 incher!!!! No this is not the dissappointing thing, as long as the guys is legal I can't complain! It was time for breakfast, so I left, and as I ate the man in the site next to us came back, cleaned the fish, wrapped it in foil and threw it on the grate on the fire!!! Now the disappointing thing!!!I noticed the couple packing up there camp site and they were ready to leave and that fish was no way near done, then i saw the man pick up the fish and walk it over to the dumpster and throw it away (uneaten)!!!!!!! It kind of erkked me up and I didn't fish the rest of the day!!!!What is the thought process here!!! At least offer it to someone who will eat it, because I don't have a problem with people keeping fish to eat, I enjoy a fresh trout now and again, But to waste a fish!!!!!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It is a durn shame that he wasted it, but I guess its good that he only wasted one. Its also good that he knew that eating one fresh rather than killing and freezing a bunch was the way to go.

I'm not saying that wasting a fish is okay but just that this guy may have been a perfectly responsible angler/conservationist that just ran out of time. He also could have gotten sidetracked packing up, overcooked/burnt the fish, and threw it away for that reason.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Personally, I am not sure which is worse, powerbaiters taking a limit and some of them being wasted or fly fisherman complaining about it.

Here is how I see it:

Regretably, most of this nations fisheries are "put and take", meaning the Fish and Game plants fish for these "powerbaiters" to take some home. As long as they are licensed and not taking more than the legal limit, who are we to complain? After all, these "gooroders" as I like to call them, do make up the majority of the revenue that the fish and game can then use to create/maintain the few remaining "catch and release" fisheries that I personally enjoy.

Don't get me wrong, when I come across these "hillbillies" it pisses me off, I try to think... "their license money is making some fisheries better" I bite my lip and press on.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point Mike.
Do unto others.
I was fishing a 15 ft stretch (not that big in my eyes) of a small river and doing very will on small nice fighting fish. That is casting slightly up stream, letting it drift about fifteen feet down to a nice little pool. The river was not shoulder to shoulder by any means.
Suddenly I saw a splash down by the pool I had been retrieving fish. Thought at first seeing this out of the corner of my eye that it was a little bigger fish rising. The river or stream had a lot of brush down both sides, so it was find a clearing and go for it.
I saw the splash again and then stepped back to see a bait caster flipping his spoon in the pool. He had been watching me before this, so I guess he wanted in on the action.
I got mad, you bet. So I picked up a big rock, tossed it into the pool with a BIG splash called him an A-Hole and walked away. Later feeling bad, wondering if I cold cock some fish.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
Personally, I am not sure which is worse, powerbaiters taking a limit and some of them being wasted or fly fisherman complaining about it.
I'll grant you that, however taking a limit and wasting some is quite different from ripping their gills out while trying to remove your boat-anchor of a hook and then throwing them back in the creek anyway. If you're gonna tear 'em up then take 'em home, don't throw 'em back.

I still say "GRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

Bruce

PS - Good one, Joni!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

That is true. That does **** me off as well.

However, I have seen many a "floater" on fly fishing catch and release waters as well.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree with you..
Old 09-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic
That is true. That does **** me off as well.

However, I have seen many a "floater" on fly fishing catch and release waters as well.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree with you..
Yup, "If you're gonna tear 'em up then take 'em home, don't throw 'em back." applies to US as well. Of course you might be courting disaster of another kind if you tried to take home the 'damaged' ones from a catch & release...

Bruce
Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceN
Yup, "If you're gonna tear 'em up then take 'em home, don't throw 'em back." applies to US as well. Of course you might be courting disaster of another kind if you tried to take home the 'damaged' ones from a catch & release... Bruce
Agree totally. And in answer to Mike, accidents happen and that includes Fly Fishing. We don't dangle fresh meat (worms, eggs or powerpuddy) and we don't us trebble hooks, which puts us at an occassional; kill from, too long out of water to miss grabbing and maybe on rare occassion, fish swallowed the fly.
Bruce, you got to remember the critters out there that might eat that fish instead of taking it home for furtilizer and that very popular Trash Can Air Freshioner
Be Gentle is all I can sayto all of us, even if you do eat it. They can get bruises too.