The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default My Fish Finding Glasses;

Originally I posted this to another thread but it seemed to not be applicable when the poster made clear he was looking for salt water fishing glasses. I figured that if I copied it here someone may benefit from what I found.

[Copy]

I realize that you guys may laugh at what I am posting but I don't say anything unless I believe it to be true, especially about fishing. What you see perched on my hat in the picture below are the glasses I swear by. They were / are known as 'Fish Finders' and I suspect the older stock may be better than the new. I bought the pair in the picture at Tony's Salmon Shop in Pulaski NY. in 1994. These are the 10 dollar polarized glasses that come with the tag that until you look through the glasses has hidden fish on it. Sounds hokey I know but over the years I have been able to test them against the Orvis Marquis polarized, the Smith polarized, and I own 2 pair of Oakley glasses. The Fish Finders win hands down for locating trout and salmon in the water.

It has been my experience that while many 'cheap' items are exactly that, every now and then there is a gem to be had without paying an arm and leg. I keep them in a soft case and have managed to protect them from scratches and loss for 17 years now and yes, I have a second pair for backup should they ever be damaged. I like my Oakley's and you can find me driving my car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and snowmachine with a pair on my face & eyes. However when I am in that boat or wading a river the Fish Finders are always on my face. You would have to think that there must be some reason behind this.

As for worries about the 'cheap' lens failing to block UV radiation and my eyes being fried, I would think that I would have noticed something by now. As for where to find them?? You will have to just keep an eye out for them in tackle shops. In my opinion these were the norm for fishing before all of the people in marketing convinced the fly fishing public that every piece of gear has to cost hundreds of dollars or you will have less than successful results. I am often amazed at how willingly we as consumers are willing to accept the rational of 'more means better' this can be true but it should not be the chief decision making factor when you shop. Think or do as you chose but those cheap glasses will find my fish again this year, I have no doubt. I hope you can find a pair of these gathering dust in a shop somewhere and get them to try.

Ard

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My Fish Finding Glasses;

Well Ard, they sure are stylish to boot!

I've used my Wal-Mart Berkley polarized glasses for years, and refused to buy into any of the Costa, Smith, or Orvis ads in my favorite magazines. However, a number of sensible people (at least from what I gather they are sensible) on the forum said I was missing out. I searched e-bay and found a pair of Costa amber closeouts. Marked down to about 40 bucks I figured I could afford them at $100 off. I took them down to the river the first time, and did a side by side comparison with the other three pairs I have. I counted 7 little white stones on the river bottom right in from of me with the Costa's. With the other 3 pairs I could only make out the largest 2 of the stones after I had spotted them with the Costas and knew where to look. Glad you found a diamond in the rough; are they still around? If so I will keep my eyes open for them.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

As time goes by I'm becoming more and more of the same train of thought as Ard, but when it comes to my sun glasses I can't go on the cheap because I need prescription lenses. Dropping a few bills every so many years for new shades sucks!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ard: Awesome write-up, I believe you but I'm amazed that you have been able to keep those fish finders intact for 17 years! I don't think I have ever been able to wear a pair of glasses nearly that long.

Larry

Old 06-03-2011, 06:26 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

so with polarized glasses, say your looking through blinds and you get right at eye level with them looking out it cuts out some glare, this is the way polarized glasses work. its a bunch of horizontal lines in your glasses that help cut out the glare. the problem when making them they dont always come out with the lines being horizontal, they may come out diagonal. when this happens the cheaper companies will cut that glass to get the most product out of it and wahla! "polarized" when infact they arnt working how they should. the more expensive companies, (smith, oakley, maui jim, kaenon etc.) will align those lines horizontal and cut so they will perform the best.

so while yes you can find some great cheap glasses that work as well or better than a 200 dollar pair, its not always the case and varies from each pair.

ard how youve had glasses for 17 years is beyond me. i cant keep track of hardly anything for a day. glad you found a good find!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Larry,

I am just that way, I still have the first fly I ever tied. I've had it for 43 years I get all bent out of shape when I have to have something new. New things have to be in service for a couple years before I think they are mine.

Fysh,

Those glasses on my hat will fit over a pair of prescription lenses.

Mac,

Remember, I have two pair of Oakley glasses and gave my Smiths to a friend. The glasses in the photo are old and in their day they were 'the fishing glasses' the big name companies hadn't jumped on the band wagon yet.

Jason,

You'll know if you ever find a pair because the display rack has a sign on it that instructs you to look at it through the glasses. When you do a bunch of fish appear.

You old timers' out there should remember these they were sold in about every sporting goods and tackle shop throughout the 70's, 80's, & into the 90's.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just purchased a pair of prescription fishing glasses and due to my lousy vision I had to put out $700.00. Just got them in last week and I can't see out of them without getting dizzy and sick.

The company I bought them from has assured me the glasses will be fixed to my satisfaction. But still, after laying out that much money it's gonna be pins and needles for me until they fix the problem or refund my money.

Dave
Old 06-03-2011, 06:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my dad and his friends wore them exclusively in the 80's and 90's up in ak, and boy did they kill 'em!

casey

ARFE
Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I just purchased a pair of prescription fishing glasses and due to my lousy vision I had to put out $700.00. Just got them in last week and I can't see out of them without getting dizzy and sick.

The company I bought them from has assured me the glasses will be fixed to my satisfaction. But still, after laying out that much money it's gonna be pins and needles for me until they fix the problem or refund my money.

Dave
Been down that road once Dave, and NEVER again. Typically I just use a set of 'clip ons' (costco's) but when things get really interesting (side glare) then out come the Cocoon's. Cheap as chips (about $40.00) and work a treat.

Cocoons Eyewear - Cocoons Sunwear and 3D Eyewear

Still have one set of prescription glasses for the early 1960's, not quite the right prescription at 69, but things are really hairy on a boat, they do the job. Coast Guard issued ... 'eye ball doc' (this was pre-polarizing) 'How dark do you want the lens Ensign?' 'One shade lighter than when you'd also hand me a white cane.' He started with a clear (glass) lens then dipped them into a container of some sort of die. (Spell that right?)

Let me tell you, after about 3 minutes in that stuff those lens were BLACK! But the 'dazzle' off a sea surface was 'who cared?'
Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

We all had Fishfinders & Spotters then the Makos & all the others came along,then we went to proscription Sunnies.
Also like everyone else I don't know how many pairs I've lost,broken ,I dropped my good expensive Ray Bans,likeThe Fighter Pilots wear,broke a Glass lens,which I haven't replaced,they were OK however I still like & use my older ones.

Little David.
Afriend paid a huge ammount for a so called you beaut Pair of Prescription Lens Glasses,went to New Zealand Fly Fishing,he didn't get dizzy,everytime he cast to a fish he overcast which The Guide who they have used for many years picked up,so he had to use his old ones & when he came home he had to get the others changed.
Brian.