The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 AM

simifish is on a distinguished road
Default Beginner question

Searched for beginner rod and reels and found some answers. But my question is, people ask if there is line already on the reel when purchasing a reel. Why? Wouldnt you want to put new line or your preferred brand on instead of somebodies old crusty line? Is it a pain to load or quality line is pricey? Or what? In my opinion, you should never skimp on line quality if you want to see whats on the end of it. Thanks for any info from a FF rookie.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:32 AM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner question

Accurate Logic....You have answered your own questions. IMHO.....
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 AM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

It depends on your definition of pricey.. I buy decent line and it usually costs me around $40. As for it being difficult to load I just take my reel with me to the fly shop (not Walmart or anything but a full-blooded fly shop) and they put it all on for me. They have a nice rig with a motor so it takes them 3 min max.

But yeah, I wouldn't want anyone's old line, unless they had just bought it and got a new rod for Christmas or something and were selling their old rod and reel.. one of those odd deals where the line was new.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

When my brother bough one of my rods and reel - s, he did take my "crusty ol line - s" But he got Wulff TT, Cortland Type I, Cortland Clear Camo, SA Type II, and SA type IV, so he was basically set up for anything. Got a killer deal on this with a Scott Eclipse and Rocky Mtn. Traditional reels.