The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 PM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough
Default What to spend on?

Hi all.I am new to this forum. Just getting back into flyfishing after a 20odd year hiatus(i was a young boy when I last fly fished). My question is, what should i spending my little money on..rods,reels or line? Out of those three, which will make the biggest difference to my fishing?( beside the actual act of fishing)I bought a rod/reel combo from Cabelas just to get started already.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to spend on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshgamble View Post
Hi all.I am new to this forum. Just getting back into flyfishing after a 20odd year hiatus(i was a young boy when I last fly fished). My question is, what should i spending my little money on..rods,reels or line? Out of those three, which will make the biggest difference to my fishing?( beside the actual act of fishing)I bought a rod/reel combo from Cabelas just to get started already.
Hi JG,
I have a feeling that you bought a price point outfit from Cabelas (no negative connotation intended). Since you have it, use it, abuse it, and beat the snot out of it until you feel that you cannot grow further with it. When you are ready, have fun upgrading. If you bought a premium setup, my apologies.

If you are looking for a trout setup, the combination of rod and line make the biggest difference of the outfit. In most cases, the reel holds the line. There are some cases in which a quality drag will make the difference if Walter takes a grab of your fly.

Have fun getting back into the sport.

MP
Old 06-12-2010, 09:03 AM

joshgamble will become famous soon enoughjoshgamble will become famous soon enough

Thank you. You know what its like in fishing, there is so much cool stuff its easy to get carried away. Yours is good advice. It was a pricepoint combo, so I will fish the hell out of it and and then jump head first into the consumer torrent. Thanks for putting some perspective on it.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mosca's advice is right on-- fish hard with what you already have. Get some experience under your belt-- that way IF you do decide to upgrade down the road at some point, you can test drive a few different rods to find one that suits you're casting stroke and the type of fishing you do.

Remember, the fish couldn't care less how much your outfit costs. So for now, plan on getting out often and have fun.

Joining a local group like a Trout Unlimited Chapter or a local club affiliated with the Federation of Fly Fishers can have a big impact on jump starting your return to fy fishing. Most have group trips to local waters, casting clinics, tying classes and informative meetings. You're also probably going to meet some new fishing buddies and maybe a mentor or two.

here are some links to do a search on local groups near you:

TU Chapters: Council/Chapter Contacts | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

FFF affiliated clubs: Locate a Club

If you do have some extra bucks to spend, investing in a casting lesson or two, or a trip with a guide that will TEACH you different techniques on stream fishing the way you normally do (rather than focusing on fish landed) might be a better investment than new gear. For example, if you normally fish by wading streams, see if you can find a guide that will wade with you (instead of using a drift boat) and will teach you how to read water, show you some nymphing techniques, how to mend line to get a drag free drift etc. You might catch more fish in a drift boat on a "normal" guided trip, but the purpose would be to jump start your knowledge so you could replicate it on your own when fishing on your own. his would be something you'd want to discuss before hand with a fly shop before booking. (Some shops have on stream classes that would also be worth looking into as a less expensive alternative.)

Best of luck, and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the links. Also good advice. I appreciate the welcome.