The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 03:45 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello from a newbie

I'm new to this BB but old to fly fishing and fly fishing on the internet. I've fished all my life starting in the early 1950's, I caught my first trout at about age 9 in New Jersey, USA.

I have lived in every time zone in the USA and now I reside in the midwestern USA in the State of Wisconsin. I started fly fishing in the 1970's and learned from Gary Borger. We are now good friends. I retired back in 1999 at the age of 55 and have not looked back. I still get job offers but they go into the circular file.

I got into writing about fly fishing on the internet back in the late 1980's before the WWW and Netscape Navigator. I was one of 100 trial families connected by modem to the University of Wisconsin Internet backbone in my city.

I signed up on the Flyfish@ mailing list soon after that. Email was all we fly fishers had. No photos or videos or blogs. Just some guys and gals around a computer emailing each other as if we were sitting at a fly shop and exchanging views. I was asked to write the Basic Fly Fishing FAQs for Flyfish@ by the list owner in the 1990s.

I found this BB when I began posting on the British FFF. I'm glad to meet everyone and hope to stay awhile.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Hello from a newbie

Welcome to the forum,

It sounds that you have a wealth of knowledge to share with our ever growing membership. There are many a new member / new to fly fishing posts that show up on a very regular basis and having someone such as yourself to help them along will be a great benefit not only to them but to our discussions at large.

Glad you signed on,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

silver creek: Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your participation!

Larry

Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 PM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum
Old 06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

to the forum Silver!

25+ years ago Gary Borger via tapes and books was my introduction to fly fishing also. I was recently blessed with hand signed copy of his new book "Fishing the Film." He is definatetly my favorite fly fishing author and teacher though I've not read to many other authors books.

I look forward to your posts...it sounds as if you have a lot of worthwhile knowledge and experience to share.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Silver, glad to have you aboard. Make yourself at home here.